Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2021   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Start S F1

I thought I'd begin a thread for those growing Start S F1, thanks to the generosity of MrBig46 and also RJGlew for the seeds and distribution.

I started 6 seeds on 3-21 in Burpee Organic Seed Starting Mix. (I like it, but it runs out of nutrients really fast, and I think the nutrients have changed over the years that I've used it.) I got 50% germination from this particular batch of seeds. I selected the best plant and discarded the other two due to lack of space. It is the second tallest plant in the picture (left container, right rear) -- the tallest is Sun Orange cherry. Start S appears to be a very good grower at this stage. I transplanted it into sifted Miracle-Gro potting mix + added perlite, and will transplant at least one more time before hopefully setting it out in mid-May. It will likely go into a 15-gal Gro-Bag.

I will update this as the season goes on, and hope that others growing it will contribute their experiences, also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoes 3-21.jpg (170.6 KB, 311 views)
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2021   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again to MrBig46 and RJGlew.

I sowed two my seeds upon receipt, and they both germinated in just a few days.

I think I misunderstood how big they would be, and when they were big enough, I potted them into three-gallon containers. They are now as tall as I am, and have another three weeks to go before I can safely put them outside.

Looking forward to getting some fruit to try.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2021   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Do you have a greenhouse? Surely they can't be completely outside in Ontario. (?)
Old May 1, 2021   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a greenhouse. The plants are in my sunroom, in front of the sliding doors..... Earliest plant-out date would be May 21.

Linda
Old May 6, 2021   #5
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I sowed 2 seeds starting 02/24 in Fox Farms Happy Frog. My seedlings were potted up twice in Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Lived under lights in my cold basement with a fan getting a weak mixture using Urban Farms Vegie fertilizer.

Any day in April with daytime temps above 50F, they were outside. First day for 2 hours, building up until all day. Back and Forth is a pain, but I tell myself I am getting steps in so it's all good. I do not let my seedlings outside during right while they are small.

This little guy went into the ground on May 01. Pushing it, but I have tunnels and Christmas lights for inside the tunnels if needed. Worse case scenario, we have egads of buckets from our maple syrup season. They stay under the tunnels during rain until they outgrow the tunnels. This was buried deep; each time I pot up I pinch off bottom leaves and bury the stem. The plant was probably pushing 15 inches above soil before it was planted and has grown quite a bit during these last few days. I planted on an overcast day, we had no slow down or stress that I could see.

VERY grateful to get seed to start, very excited to see and taste its fruits!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2021   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Start S was set out yesterday. (Planted 6 seeds, 3 germinated, 1 selected.) It grew very well under lights and acclimated in my cold frame for about a week. Our weather seems settled now. I ended up putting it in a Rubbermaid garden container. I've successfully grown many IND varieties in that container, so I think from that perspective, it will do fine. It holds apx. 2 ft3 of mix. The planter is at least 25 years old. Wish I could still buy these, but have not seen them for years. Plant looks very happy! I've got an Early Girl in an EarthBox for a comparison. Not quite apples-to-apples, but close enough, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start-S-F1.jpg (325.2 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by Greatgardens; May 22, 2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old May 21, 2021   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My two Start F1's in their pots, secured to the post of the washing line! All the other spots were filled. They have green tomatoes already!

Linda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5210001 (2).jpg (113.7 KB, 238 views)
Old May 21, 2021   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Holy Cow! Linda, those look huge! I would be interested to know how they eventually compare in taste with Early Annie, if you are still growing those.
My Starts are still in their coffee cups waiting to go in the ground sometime in the next week or two.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2021   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Dee, wow! You're in Ontario and have plants outside that big already, that sure is impressive. I've got my Start S F1 in the ground on May 13. It is growing rapidly and first blossoms will open in probably in a week or so.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2021   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha Dee and Jamie, I will let you know how they turn out. I mistakenly thought these would be fine in containers, so I started them in mid-Feb, to go on my deck, along with Early Annie and Maglia Rosa. I was rather surprised when they grew so big, but I potted them up, and they have been hanging out in my sunroom beside the big glass door until a few days ago.

Linda
Old May 22, 2021   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I think the Start F1 tomato should be fine in Ontario. They are bred for our area, I'm about fifty degrees north latitude as well as Toronto. It will probably be worse in Texas, where it would require shading in the summer so that a yellow collar does not form.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2021   #12
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

Default So far, so good!

I have one Start F1 plant in an Earthbox, one in-ground. So far, both are doing great. No hint of early blight yet, and have greenies on the EB plant. The plant is very vigorous, outpacing Stupice (in the same box) in growth and fruit set. All were planted out at the end of April.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4686 (1).jpg (173.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4687.jpg (104.1 KB, 183 views)
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2021   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4jess View Post
The plant is very vigorous, outpacing Stupice (in the same box) in growth and fruit set.
Your plants look great - very well done, and agreed on how it outpaces Stupice. I find it ripens a week or so after Stupice since the Start S F1 fruit is bigger. For me, Start S is much better tasting, but you'll have to see for yourself. I also find the taste of Start is much better than 4th of July.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2021   #14
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello guys,
there's no comparison of Start F1 to Stupice in terms of vigor. Double or even triple the size as well as double or triple the yield. In taste it's 10 : 7 - 8. Actually, I don't understand much why Stupice has become quite popular in the USA. Yes, it's a very early tomato of very adequate taste, but not much more.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2021   #15
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Actually, I don't understand much why Stupice has become quite popular in the USA. Yes, it's a very early tomato of very adequate taste, but not much more.
And that's exactly why! For me, Stupice consistently ripens tomatoes about 2 weeks before others. Since I have room for about 40 tomatoes in my front garden, why would I wait 2 weeks to start eating fresh tomatoes? It's true that when the better tasting mid-season tomatoes start to bear, Stupice gets ignored as a fresh eater, but I have not found an earlier tomato that tastes as good. With a short northern growing season, I can't wait to get a home grown tomato!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote