Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2021   #1
mark_z
Tomatovillian™

Default update

Quite a few years ago I wanted a fresh home grown tomato. I always remembered how good they were as a child from my grandfathers garden. I decided right then i was going to grow some, and immediately went to work with the task. It wasn't long before I realized I better seek advice and guidance from those who went before me, because what I was growing needed improvement.

It was then I joined Tomatoville. Everyone joined in with inspiration and enthusiastic support, and I was inspired. A few years went by and my heirlooms kept getting better and better, and that's not so easy in central Florida where the climate can punish anything that doesn't call itself a native.

The short story here is my Brandywines and Cherokee Purple this spring are the best I've ever had, and so wanted to post a short thank you to the folks on this forum who helped me along the way. It's good to have a resource such as this to share info, trade secrets, and share the excitement of growing your own.

Mr Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (263.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (149.2 KB, 199 views)
mark_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #2
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing, may I ask what are the barrels for,and what are you feeding those nice looking plants?
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2021   #3
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I like how stylish your trellises look!
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2021   #4
mark_z
Tomatovillian™

Default update 2

To answer the previous question ..

The barrels harvest rainwater, and I have now upgraded to a drip irrigation system.

I collect water from the roof of a shed, which is then stored in barrels, which is connected to a water pump and timer, which then services a drip irrigation micro sprinkler in each tomato pot. The timer can be programmed to water as frequently as desired, plus has other features to make watering easy. NO more hauling water !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (107.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (225.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (227.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (136.4 KB, 116 views)
Old August 24, 2021   #5
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark! How has the tomato crop been so far this year?
Old August 24, 2021   #6
mark_z
Tomatovillian™

Default update

I try 2 crops per year, August/November and December/May. The winter crop, which matures in April/May was the best yet. I just started my fall seeds. I'll have tomatoes by Thanksgiving, but I've found my winter/spring plants always seem best.

I have found much joy and happiness in the simple planting of these heirloom seeds in a garden.
Old August 25, 2021   #7
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Nice barrel setup! What kind of paint was that? They look like a sort of stone finish. Probably just gray primer and a trick of the lighting? Mine are still white, for years now, but I should make them look a little nicer.

If you can grow brandywine with consistenly filled out fruit trusses, I'd say you're doing something right! They taste about as good as a tomato can taste.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2021   #8
mark_z
Tomatovillian™

Default update

As you observed, the paint on the barrels is a grey primer which has a flat or matte finish. As I remember it was Krylon paint in a spray can I purchased in Lowes. I used about two cans per barrel for complete coverage, and I had to prep the barrels first by buffing them with scotch bright pads to improve the adhesion to the plastic barrel material.

Growing heirlooms in Central Florida isn't easy, but I have had some success after many years of trying. Planting and growing at the right time to avoid high day/night temperatures, always using sterile soil to avoid nematods, using felt pots, and supercharging purchased garden soil with NPK additives will be necessary. For pest control I only use one gallon of water with a few tablespoons of dish detergent and vegetable oil. White flies are the biggest problem and they start about a month after the seedling takes off. I'm OK with losing a few tomatoes from other insects, such as catepillars, but I enjoy the bulk of the harvest.
Old August 25, 2021   #9
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Have you ever tried crab meal for nematodes, it seemed to work for me. Also a fun thing to use is an irrometer for controlling your irrigation valve, I use one on my indoor winter lettuce growing. I love seeing neat and tidy gardens like yours,keep up the good work.
Old August 26, 2021   #10
taboule
Tomatovillian™

very nice design, details well thought out.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote