Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old December 20, 2019   #76
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Cabbage Kimchi

This recipe came from a book of various kimchi recipes and we think it tastes just like the kimchi sold in the Korean store we visit occasionally, only they want about $5 for a quart! I've added my own notes at the bottom

Savoy Cabbage Kimchi with Turnip

1 large head (about 2-2.5 lbs) savoy cabbage or green cabbage, cut into 2” square pieces
¼ cup plus 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 large (about 12 oz) turnip, peeled and cut into 1.5” squares that are about ¼” thick

Seasoning Paste
2/3 cup Korean red chili flakes (gochugaru; we use 1/4 cup for half a recipe)
½ cup chopped yellow onion
¼ cup fish sauce
2 TBS minced fresh garlic
1 TBS peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
2 tsp sugar
¾ cup water
5-6 green onions, green part only, chopped into 1.5” pieces (about a cup)

In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with ¼ cup of the salt. Set aside for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check on the cabbage and if it looks wilted, limp and slightly brighter in color, it is ready. Otherwise, give it another 15 minutes and check again. Rinse the cabbage and let it drain, shaking the colander a bit to remove excess moisture.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl toss the turnip squares with 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat the turnip pieces dry.

While the cabbage continues to brine, prepare the seasoning paste. In a mini food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse together the chili flakes, onion, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and sugar until the mixture is uniform and resembles hummus. Add ¼ cup of the water and pulse until incorporated.

In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, turnips and green onions. Add the seasoning paste and toss together until the paste coats all the vegetables evenly.

Pack the vegetables tightly into three 1-quart jars. Add ½ cup water with the remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt to the seasoning bowl and swirl the water around to collect any remaining seasoning paste. Distribute the water among the jars, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for five days. Refrigerate and allow the flavors to develop for about two weeks. Eat within 6 months. The cabbage will keep fermenting slowly for up to 6 months and its taste will evolve and change with time.

Make sure liquid covers the kimchee in each jar as it ferments. If necessary, mix another ½ cup of water with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and use to keep cabbage covered.

Notes:
Place jars on a tray or on saucers in case some bubble over while fermenting. It helps when packing the kimchi into the jars, to leave a little room in each jar for the liquid to cover contents and for contents to rise a bit as fermentation bubbles will cause it to rise a little.

We usually make a half recipe which makes one quart plus not quite a full pint. And we use regular green cabbage as it’s hard to find savoy around here.

To keep the aroma of kimchi from taking over your refrigerator, place jars in a gallon ziplock bag, zip it closed and then put it into a second ziplock bag. No odor at all in the refrigerator!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020   #77
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a good recipe. I've never had kimchi, what does it taste like? Do the veg stay firm-ish, or sort of limp?
Old January 12, 2020   #78
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Wow, the taste of kimchi... it's pretty hard to describe. Those of us who like it think it's an an exotic mix of vegetal flavors with some heat and a tang. Those who don't like it often say it tastes like a ripe compost bucket smells.

Lauryn Chun, the author of The Kimchi Cookbook tells of the various stages kimchi goes through. You can eat it after just a couple of days and it will be pretty crunchy. You can easily sort out the separate tastes of cabbage, turnip and onion. As it ages the vegetables start to soften and at six weeks they're pretty limp and there is no longer an individual taste of the vegetables as they have all merged into something unique. It lasts for ages in the refrigerator.

No two kimchis are the same as it's one of those things where you use what you have. I understand that Koreans have summer kimchi and winter kimchi based on what's in the garden at that time and probably everything in between. You can even use the process to make it with just cubes of daikon radish. I add daikon slices or matchsticks to kimchi if there's any daikon coming from the garden.

Fish sauce... I've made kimchi with fish sauce and also with the tiny salted shrimp that some recipes call for and don't care for either versions so I leave it out. I think I'll amend the recipe I posted to say (optional) on the fish sauce.

Heat level is to taste. We don't use the full amount of gochugaru pepper flakes as the recipe calls for. But it's that kind of hot pepper that is hot at first and then the heat goes away relatively quickly.

We also use just the plain green cabbage as the groceries out here in Cow Pie County don't carry it.

Kimchi is really easy to make!

https://www.amazon.com/Kimchi-Cookbo.../dp/1607743353

Last edited by GoDawgs; January 12, 2020 at 10:42 AM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote