Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2021   #1
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Default The Carolyn Male TRIBUTE-what did you grow?

Hi all-
I thought it might be nice to do a round up of varieties people received and tried from Carolyn's Tribute. All input welcome!

I will start-
I grew
Aunt Ginny's Purple- a workhorse with well rounded taste. Variable fruit size for me. A perennial winner.

Bulgarian Triumph- I have wanted to grow this for a while. Finally with seeds from the Tribute I discovered why it was recommended. A well behaved, tall plant which delivered almost perfect red orbs of 3-4 oz. No blemishes in site and a good old rich with good acid red type flavor. Clusters of 4-5 fruits produced over and over. I would grow it again.

Heidi I have grown this one before, which came originally from a student of Carolyn's from Africa named Heidi. This one is a smaller red paste but boy oh boy does it produce. It seemed every other day more were coming. This is a perennial favorite in my garden. It's a good old workhorse I can count on for salsas and sauces.

Pale Perfect Purple- My daughter chose this one as the wildcard I let her choose from the list. This is another great tomato which performed well despite our heat. Around 4 oz each, this dark pink tomato arrived in perfect clusters of 4. It quickly became a snacking- in- the- garden tomato for us. To my taste buds,. this one was similar to Aunt Ginny's. A winner.

Does anyone else have any great finds or skips from what they grew?
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2021   #2
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Did not participate in the official tribute, but Carolyn turned us on to a huge number of interesting heirlooms. For me, it started probably around 1994 or 1995 on Gardenweb.

This year Stupice, Ildi, Pruden,'s Purple (Carolyn made Dorothy Beiswenger a household name in the 90's: she discovered and traded it on SSE)

But the ones that are my personal tribute to Carolyn are a pink Beefsteak and a pink globe that were a 14-year project out of Big Boy and Better Boy. Carolyn opined that Over Schiffriss, who bred Big Boy 75 years ago could be dehybridized and one could obtain a variety very similar to one of the parents.
Teddy Jones was a big rampant beefsteak that unfortunately suffered from every disease that happened by. Schiffriss didn't think it was worth the trouble to dehybridized, and having pursued it, I might agree.

I eventually rejected a monstrous, ugly, catface and blossom-inclusion-prone pink Beefsteak, but maintain a couple of better-behaved pink sorts with modest disease-resistance traits

Because Carolyn encouraged such adventures.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old September 8, 2021   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my participation last year ended when matina damped off in the garden, and died.
the one plant tip that survived produced only a few fruit before frost hit.
this year matina is going gang busters like i am used to it doing. it is a very good

tasting saladette size fruit.

keith
Old September 10, 2021   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I got the seeds from the Carolyn Male TRIBUTE event late, so I will grow tomatoes from next year. This year I had satisfaction from Heidi and also a cherry from Dr. Carolyn. I was surprised by the excellent taste of this cherry and also by the fact that the fruits did not crack at all even though it rained every day. I mostly grew grape cherries and cocktail tomatoes, which crunched more. But I haven't found a single crop on some plants all summer that hasn't cracked.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2021   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I missed out on growing seeds from Carolyn, although I still have seeds with her handwriting on the envelope and find myself checking her old posts about different varieties. I would love to to participate next year.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2021   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I grew my own Carolyn tribute last year. Since I had planned to grow almost all cherry varieties, I grew Dr. Carolyn Red and Galina. Both were bland, and neither improved at the end of the season as I had hoped .

This year I grew Bulgarian Triumph, one that Carolyn liked. It never fails to impress. Flavour is great and the tomatoes are perfect saladettes. Another plus is that it grows well in a tomato cage .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2021   #7
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Did anyone grow Rosedale?
Old September 15, 2021   #8
encore
Tomatovillian™

yes i did they turned out to be some type of green when ripe tomato, potato leaf, green with a slight yellow tint. ----tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2021   #9
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010607.jpg (183.1 KB, 223 views)
Old September 15, 2021   #10
encore
Tomatovillian™

the darker yellow tint ones are actually a little over ripe, i was waiting for them to turn red. lol-----tom
Old September 15, 2021   #11
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

That would be me too Tom!! LOL
Sorry that happened. Did the seeds come from the Tribute? If so, and you still have them, could you post a pic of the package so the rest of us know which one it is? Several sent in Rosedale. I would love to grow the real one next year.

But hey-did you get to taste the GWR? Looks beautiful...maybe this could be a good surprise?
Old September 15, 2021   #12
encore
Tomatovillian™

they were carolyn's seeds from shawn, i believe, i got 12 tomatoes from plant, they have really good taste, a bit sweet. good texture, there must of been a bit of a mix up when she labeled them lol----tom
Old September 16, 2021   #13
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
they were carolyn's seeds from shawn, i believe, i got 12 tomatoes from plant, they have really good taste, a bit sweet. good texture, there must of been a bit of a mix up when she labeled them lol----tom
Interesting! I've been growing Rosedale from Carolyn for several years now. As I recall, the first seeds were marked F4. But whet I've been growing have been more purplish red, dark, but not black. Very tasty. Size and shape mostly like what you picture, maybe a bit more round. Genetic variation, or mislabeled seeds?
Old September 20, 2021   #14
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I missed last year, but have received seeds from her many other years. I just grew out Pervaya Lyubuv (spelling?) finally...an amazing early, good sized tomato for Northern gardeners that tastes great! Thanks Carolyn.
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2021   #15
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

I grew out a variety called “My Family” from Carolyn’s tribute, which produced decent sized and good taste/texture pink tomatoes, was a success here in the UK despite our poor season - greenhouse fortunately not affected with blight unlike those grown outdoors which suffered terribly!
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote