Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 30, 2016   #1
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Default tomatoes with flavors all-their-own / unique tasting

I seem to recall a post by Tormato a while back about SNFLA. In it, he mentions that SNFLA, Prue, AGG, and Sun Gold are among those he would count as having flavor all-their-own. I'm kind of assuming this means that these tomatoes share no major flavor overlap with others. Given Tormato has grown many 'matos, I'm surprised he's able to whittle it down to just 4 with respect to taste.

I'm kind of tempted to go search out and get a few seeds for Prue and AGG. I'm growing SNFLA and Sun Gold, but anything with a unique flavor has me interested. (And by unique I mean unique and palatable. otherwise I'd count the fruit of estamino or some wild type. )

What other tomatoes are like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Flavor (my experience and opinion) is unique among many, many, hundreds (about 1,000) of tomatoes I've tasted, with no other tomato being close to this flavor. I've tasted only a few tomatoes that have a flavor all-their-own. Examples are Prue, Aunt Gertie's Gold, and Sungold. The best way I can describe this tomato is that it is tangy. Now, other tomatoes I put in the tangy category have both a sweetness I can taste, and a tartness I can taste, blending into an overall tanginess. With S-N-F L A , I cannot detect any sweetness, nor any tartness, just the balanced tanginess. I consider it having a full, rich, but not complex, flavor. It was the best tasting tomato in my garden in 2012. I've only given seeds to about 10 people in the past few years. And, I've only had one report back on its flavor. The report was that it was the best tasting in their garden, for that year. It is one, of only two, tomatoes that has never disappointed me with its taste, over many growing seasons. The other tomato is Sungold, but even "Sungold" disappointed me once (when it was an imposter). Every other tomato variety I've tried has been a dud, one time or another. So far, extreme weather (hot, cold, wet, dry) has had no effect on its flavor.

Last edited by Scooty; April 30, 2016 at 03:53 AM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique