Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 5, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Melons on a Sunday Morning....

Oh, the pressure- only a few large beauties on the vine, and you want to pick them at the right time (last time I grew watermelons, I remember the disappointment of cutting one open and seeing just a pale pink version of what it would have been with a few more weeks!).

First pic is an Alabama Yellow flesh heirloom that Fusion sent me (nearly ripe? Must be 20 pounds or more) - then Moon and Stars long milky way, from SESE (still just a baby, with a little sibling next to it - this melon is at least 20 feet from the hill that it originates from!), then Yellow Fleshed Moon and Stars - Probably 20-30 pounds, and the tendril has dried up....soon to pick (from SESE - been wanting to try this for years) - then the fine JSS canteloupe Touchdown. Plus a Touchdown and a Passport that have been picked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlabamaYellow2Aug5_07.JPG (131.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg MoonStarsMilkyWayAug5_07.JPG (176.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg MoonStarsYellowAug5_07.JPG (169.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg TouchdownAug5_07.JPG (138.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TouchdownPassportJuly31_07.JPG (127.0 KB, 19 views)
Old August 5, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I picked a melon today too! I think we should start taking notes on how to tell per variety ripeness. My Tendersweet (delish) comes ripe about 5-7 days AFTER the curly tendrils closest to the stem start to turn brown. Don't ask how I know EXACTLY lol but I do compost
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote