Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2007   #1
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Default red brandywine

I was just looking through the seed list for Victory Seed, and read that they withheld seed for sale last year as there was some question about the variety's pedigree. What source could I use to insure the true red Carolyn listed in her book? The Victory site mentions that they got there seed initially from Craig.
Old January 16, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

AS I understand it Mike did buy some RB seed from a supplier and it was the PL wrong form, the same wrong one that TGS also continues to sell, which I've discussed before here several times, although they also offer true RB as the Landis strain, which is not a strain, BTW.

I didn't remember Mike saying he got his RB from Craig, b'c Craig wouldn't have sent him a wrong variety. But if you say so, I'm just too lazy today to go to the Victory Seed site and look at that.

Places that do have true RB include:

Sandhill Preservation
TGS ( see above)
Heirloomseeds.com, where Tom Hauch, who owns that company was the first to offer it commercially, seeds from the SSE Yearbook, and still considers it what he calls his signature variety. It was Tom who sent seeds of RB to Steve Miller at the Landis Museum in PA, and so the Landis designation at TGS simply refers to that place as their source of seeds and it's not a strain. There are no strains of RB.
Old January 16, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If you get it from Tomato Growers (TGS), make sure it says "Landis" or "Landis valley" in the name.

From Victory Seeds, I am thinking the one from Craig would be the correct one.

Less typing, more growing!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #4
foolcontrol
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew Brandywine Red that I purchased last year from Victory Seed and it grew with regular leaves.
foolcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I just went back and checked the RB blurb at Victory Seeds and it's changed since I last saw it when Mike was saying that his RB was not correct.

Apparently he did get new seed stock from Craig and Craig got his from the Landis Museum so it says.

My RB is from an SSE person long ago and would have to have been from Tom's original offering of RB but I'd have to go back and check that out.

Wait a minute here, for I never did keep track of the SSE person I got it from so I couldn't do that. Nevertheless, many here know that I grew out both Tom's and mine a few seasons back and they were identical so I know what's pictured and described in my book as well as the RB seeds I'm currently offering in my seed offer here are correct.
Old January 16, 2007   #6
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

re:
Feldon
If you get it from Tomato Growers (TGS), make sure it says "Landis" or "Landis valley" in the name

re:
As Carolyn has meantioned above about this topic being reviewed a number of times just this past season.

I have to disagree with you Feldon.
I grew out the TGS Red Brandywine
(Landis/Landis Valley) in 2006
and after much debate it's wrong ...

I'm not worried moving forward as I've traded for the "right" one ... But the one from TGS listed under "Landis/Landis Valley" Red Brandywine ?
Its not right.

Leaf Type from TGS:

Fruit:

Don't get me wrong I can't complain:
It did produce all summer long in high heat, and had great a great flavor, and looked along the lines of RL.
But "true-macoy" ? No ...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #7
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all of you for the information and quick replies!
This will be my 6th season growing heirlooms, and I never knew how much interest and knowledge of the art existed until John turned me on to this site last year.
I grew a Burpees so-called Red Brandywine last year, but it was a potato leaf...last year's weather was disastrous, so I can't report on the fruit...not one was produced.
Old January 17, 2007   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For those who have grown both, how does red brandywine compare to the pinks?

John, I'm not sure what you're asking but maybe I missed something somewhere.

Are you asking how Red Brandywine compares to Brandywine, which is pink, or other pinks, or what?

If you're asling about comparing Brandywine with Red Brandywine, then I think it's good to know that they are two entirely different varieties with entirely different traits as to leaf form, fruit shapes, colors and sizes and tastes and origins, and really can't be compared directly.

If I've missed the intent of your question please set me straight.
Old January 17, 2007   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcm05
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
If I've missed the intent of your question please set me straight.
Maybe my question was a bit vague.

I was basically soliciting opinions of how people thought the taste of red brandywine compared to the regular brandywine(potato-leafed, pink fruit) such as the Sudduth's strain. I understand RB's yield is far better in most conditions.
That's kind of what I thought you were saying and I still say you can't compare the two b'c they are such different varieties.

Yes, the yield with RB is better, as to # of fruits, b'c in general the smaller the fruit size the higher the yield. But when it comes to total poundage I'm not sure which would be the winner in most years.

Tastewise they are so very different I just can't compare them. I can struggle to compare BW with other large pinks and I can compare RB with other medium sized reds, but not the two.
Old January 17, 2007   #10
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Lord Knows...there aint no way to get involved here without muddyin the water, but it jus might be a little good feed thought flowin downstream.

The Buck's County hybrid plants i grew last Summer were late producers, but seemed Oblivious to any kind of foilage disease, they grew Massive Structure and Foilages, all the while, ...quietly secreting their fruits away from the human eye....they Hide their fruits...lol...for quite awhile, before it no longer caint be kept a secret.

To the Extent....that a B.C,...or...one of Burpee's new offerings, ..."Little Red BW Hybrid" ...IS...or IS NOT...a TRUE RED BW...i jus dont know. So i perfectly understand the original poster's Question.

I will say this...the pictures heretofore exhibited that portray a Genuine Red Brandywine...Differ in Fruit appearance...for 2 Reasons , from the Buck's County fruits i harvested last season.

Number one...Concentric cracking....never saw any disposition within the plants to exhibit it.
Number 2...a B.C. fruit is more Orange than red, it aint near as deep red as the Picture exhibited , displays.

I only offer this an these submissions, hopin We can ALL get it STRATE....thru Time. Lord Knows...i love a B. C. fruit, but it's Worlds away...from tastin a real BW. a B.C. fruit is very firm, tangy, sorta crisp, an it has a good sweet taste in it, after the tangy is encountered. I Absolutely Love both Cultivars, but they aint anywhere Close to each other in Fruit results/taste.

Hate to say it, but i believe somebody is tryin to ride the coat-tails of 2 Beautiful Cultivars, Brandywine, and Red Brandywine, an...its sad, but They dont give a dam, if they happen to muddy the Water.

Hopin the Stream soon runs Clear...)))
Old January 17, 2007   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Number one...Concentric cracking....never saw any disposition within the plants to exhibit it.
Number 2...a B.C. fruit is more Orange than red, it aint near as deep red as the

Gimme,

The first year that Burpee offered it it was called Red Brandywine Hybrid and I bought seeds as well as plants.

I grew their burpee plants, sowed their seeds and sowed my true OP Red Brandywine.

There was no difference at all between the plants and fruits of all three.

I didn't save seeds from Red Brandywine Hybrid to grow out the F2's to see if there was any gene segregation.

Next thing I know Burpee is offering Buck's COunty Red. Well I thought that was something new b'c they are situated in Buck's County, PA. And for two years nada was said altho I had my suspicions based on the description of BC Red.

And then lo and behold one year they said that BC Red was bred from Red Brandywine as a hybrid.

If they're dealing with true BC Red F1 seed then it should have been the same seed /plants I grew from the original Red Brandywine hybrid where I saw no difference between the OP and so called F1 Red Brandywine.

I really don't like the way Burpee is playing with some folk' s heads of late, but that's all in different other threads. Sigh. I mean Porterhouse is new yet it was bred in 2001 or 2, I forget now the year from the NCSU Cultivar list info.

Whatever.
Old January 17, 2007   #12
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstrees
re:
Feldon
If you get it from Tomato Growers (TGS), make sure it says "Landis" or "Landis valley" in the name

re:
As Carolyn has meantioned above about this topic being reviewed a number of times just this past season.

I have to disagree with you Feldon.
I grew out the TGS Red Brandywine
(Landis/Landis Valley) in 2006
and after much debate it's wrong ...

I'm not worried moving forward as I've traded for the "right" one ... But the one from TGS listed under "Landis/Landis Valley" Red Brandywine ?
Its not right.

Tom
Tom, are you saying you don't think the TGS Landis Strain (which isn't a strain) is not the true Red Brandywine? Carolyn actually says that it is in the post above Feldon's - I think he was reiterating what she said. I am just throughly confused after reading this post and trying to figure out which seed is true to Carolyn's book before I order seed for this year...

Regards,
Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2007   #13
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Honesty Pete, the Landis Valley Red Brandywine tomato seed I grew out from TGS was wrong - there must have been some kind of "seed mix-up" for that particular order ... I'm sure everythings under control ...

Tom
Old January 18, 2007   #14
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense. I guess I will try the Landis Strain this year and see what I get.

Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2007   #15
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good Pete ...
Got a digital camera ? or a friend that has one ?
Take pics ~ Fruit and leaf type ~

Tom