Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 15, 2012   #1
derek248
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirlooms started

Here are the shots of the 4 heirloom plants that we just started. They are in 30 gallon Smart Pots. From 1st to last are a Brandywine red RL, Green Zebrs, Marianna's Peace and a Black Krim. The last photo is a couple of leaves on the Marianna's Peace that water got splashed on when we first transplanted them. Hopefully just leaf burn and not turning into a disease. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (478.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0063.jpg (516.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.jpg (448.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.jpg (557.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.jpg (306.6 KB, 53 views)
derek248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #2
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

derek

are you going to have time for them to grow fruit out in your zone? Looking good, they sure have a lot of room to grow.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #3
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to the forum, and you sure look like you're off to a good start!

derek, it looks like you have some sunburn there, but they sure look healthy, and certainly happier than ours out here in Washington, where it's still raining and a high of 55º today.

meadowyck, it gets way hotter in Michigan than in the PNW, so I'll bet there's plenty of time to ripen. He's already ahead of us, because he has sun!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #4
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

j

I lived in Dearborn, over 30 years ago and if I didn't have mine ready for pots by May, I usually didn't get them ripe, but then maybe that was before global warming started....LOL

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 17, 2012   #5
janezee
Tomatovillian™

m, I just remember how hot it always was when we were there in the summer. And I keep seeing all these folks with great harvests. Does fall come early there? I guess that would mess that up. I think I was getting confused with my fall date of 10/30. (Sorry about that.)

(Guess I could could look it up!) Just a lazy Sunday in the rain, and I'm getting sleepy.

j
Old June 17, 2012   #6
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

J not to worry as my memory does it rather fuzzy through the years.

Send some of that rain back here, we have been a week without any, and I want to go into the summer with our water table as close to normal as possible...

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 17, 2012   #7
janezee
Tomatovillian™

m, get this! I actually had to water the flower and vegetable gardens Saturday, because we've been having what is called Seattle rain here lately.I think in the trades it's called a working rain.

That means it rains enough to get you damp, but not soaking wet, and it makes the plants soggy, but doesn't really accumulate. Think of a really heavy fog that you can see through, because it's condensing on you.
Yep, it's why we get late blight here every year.

Sorry.
Just feeling sorry for myself and my poor tomatoes and peppers, still waiting to be planted out.
I think all those tomato sandwich pictures are getting to me!!!

j
Old June 18, 2012   #8
derek248
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Welcome to the forum, and you sure look like you're off to a good start!

derek, it looks like you have some sunburn there, but they sure look healthy, and certainly happier than ours out here in Washington, where it's still raining and a high of 55º today.

meadowyck, it gets way hotter in Michigan than in the PNW, so I'll bet there's plenty of time to ripen. He's already ahead of us, because he has sun!

j
Thanks for the warm welcome. We got a little over-excited when we 1st received the plants from Laurel out in California. They had traveled across the country and it was way hot here that day. Plugged them right into their new homes and watered them during the middle of the afternoon. We tried to be careful but it looks like we had some splash up on the one plant. In hind site I wish we would have left them inside until it cooled down and then planted and watered. Hopefully that one recoveres.
derek248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2012   #9
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your maters.

-Theodore Roosevelt