Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 2, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tall Pepper Varieties?

Both of these varieties are not what they were marked as The first two pictures are of a 7' tall variety. It is supposed to be Brazilian Starfish, but they're supposed to only be 3-4' tall.

The other pictures are of a 6' tall variety that I think may be Peppadew? The last picture shows a Peppadew on the left and beside it is whatever variety it is from the 6' tall plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0009.JPG (67.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0010.JPG (83.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0011.JPG (88.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0012.JPG (72.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0013.JPG (50.2 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added info
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

What were they marked as?

Peppers cross alot, and if they are not isolated, saved seed has a high percentage of hybrids.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
What were they marked as?

Peppers cross alot, and if they are not isolated, saved seed has a high percentage of hybrids.
Brazilian Starfish
Old August 2, 2016   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The bottom photo looks like Brazilian Starfish, or at least a hybrid between BSF and something else.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've been thinking they were hybrids too. BSF isn't 7' tall. I'm wondering if they are maybe a cross of BSF and Peppadew? I'll grow them again next year to see how they grow and if they produce or not.
Old August 3, 2016   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've been thinking they were hybrids too. BSF isn't 7' tall. I'm wondering if they are maybe a cross of BSF and Peppadew? I'll grow them again next year to see how they grow and if they produce or not.
I would grow them out next year to see what you get. The only way to try and make sure you have the same seed from one year to the other is to bag. Peppers cross in a heartbeat. Tiny bit of wind, even from you getting close and brushing leaves can send pollen from one plant to another besides all the insects you don't see.

Bagging is your best bet, but sometimes even that doesn't work and you get a surprise.

Peppers take so long to grow, I think the goal is to get one you can eat at the heat level you like and tastes good with little or no disease problems.

I had a Mini Orange Bell and didn't notice it was sitting next to a Manzans and a Anaheim. Plant went to a neighbor who liked hot peppers. Then mini bells produced nothing but cute hot bells.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #7
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

That looks consistent with Peppadew®. (Are we supposed to use the trademark symbol?)

Surely, growing conditions affect height. In my calcareous (alkaline) clay of Cowtown, baccatums have tended to be 2 1/2 foot tall bushes. Elsewhere, folks have the same species threaten to overtake the house.

Annuums, for me, are likelier to adopt the telephone-pole form . . . although, never seven feet . . . so far.

Btw, my Peppadews™ are drying on the plant (in the shade), while the Brazilian Pumpkins stay firm, moist, and juicy. Same species; same watering regimen; similar containers.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It is supposed to be Brazilian Starfish, but they're supposed to only be 3-4' tall.
Says who?? Starfish are HUGE. So are Bishop's Crown, which seems to be a close relative. The pod form is correct for Starfish.

There are some habaneros that like to take the form of trees. Unsurprisingly they are called "tree habaneros" and can commonly nudge 8'.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #9
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, my bishop's crown is a beast. It has a *trunk*
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #10
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Peppers are self-pollinating, which makes the cross rate relatively low. I recall a worst case rate of 10% (can't recall where I saw that). That's still kinda high, but again, worst case. I've been growing OP seeds for years and the observed cross rate is below that number.

And to repeat, there is no evidence that what Saltie is growing is a cross. It's doing exactly what a Starfish is supposed to do.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Peppers are self-pollinating, which makes the cross rate relatively low. I recall a worst case rate of 10% (can't recall where I saw that). That's still kinda high, but again, worst case. I've been growing OP seeds for years and the observed cross rate is below that number.

And to repeat, there is no evidence that what Saltie is growing is a cross. It's doing exactly what a Starfish is supposed to do.
Thanks. That's the first I have heard of a % rate on the peppers. I grow op's as well as bagged.

I agree looks like a Starfish to me too.

Salt... Have you tasted one of your Starfishes yet? There are two Starfish. One the Brazillian Starfish which is hot and one just called Starfish which I grew for several years which is sweet. They both look the same. My sweet Starfish was a huge plant too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #12
Langley Ranch
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Are you supporting that with anything?
Good heavens.
Langley Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I put a 2' piece of 3/8 rebar beside the plant and drove it into the ground about 8" and loosely tied the plants to them. It has worked surprisingly well so far.

As it keeps getting hotter each day, I'm noticing more leaf wilt on these plants.
Old August 3, 2016   #14
Langley Ranch
Tomatovillian™

That's simply amazing. I've never seen pepper plants like this. I know they just keep growing where there is no frost, but I had no idea any of them could get so tall. Thank you for sharing photos of your glorious pepper plants!

erin
Langley Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #15
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Check Judy's note on height and taste of Brazilian Starfish.

http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/...tarfish-detail

Last edited by Aerial; August 3, 2016 at 03:10 PM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote