Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9, 2024   #1
Zark
Tomatovillian™

Default Helmet Head

I have been starting my tomatoes from seed I purchased or seed I have saved. One problem that has plagued me over the years is Helmet Head. I have tried keeping them moister, and pulling the seed coat off. But this has been a pain and sometimes resulted in not growing a variety or two I wanted in the garden. The last two years I have had very few to no helmet head. In the past I would just thinly cover the seeds with starting mix. Now I cover the seed with at least 1/4" of starting mix. The tiny plants don't seem to have a problem pushing through and have been healthy. So, it seems I was not giving them enough cover. You would think that a tomato grower of many years would have known this. Never too old to learn. Looking forward to another wonderful tomato garden this season.
Zark is offline   Reply With Quote