Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 10, 2018   #1
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Default Trouble with hand pollinating cucumbers

I've never grown cucumbers before and thought I'd try hand pollinating a few flowers because I hardly ever see bees in my yard. Do cucumbers typically have less pollen than other cucurbits? I've pollinated melons before and seems like if you rub the male flower on the stigma of the female, the stigma is caked in yellow pollen. I'm having a hard time noticing if any pollen is transferring even when using a small paintbrush that has white bristles to collect pollen from the male. Seems like there is no pollen in the male. Is it possible that the first set of flowers don't have pollen yet? It's been 2 days since I first tried and I can't tell whether or not the pollination took. The variety is Boston Pickling Cucumber. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

The female flowers are on the end of a lilttle cucumber. If it doesn't get fertilized the little cucumber will turn yellow and drop off.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #3
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

I got tired of trying to hand-pollinate cucumbers so I only grow parthenocarpic varieties now..
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Often the first blooms of regular OP cucumbers are all males. What variety? You can google photos of male and female cucumber blossoms to compare with yours.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Agree with KarenO; Give it more time; the bees will come.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #6
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Bees showed up. There's so many flowers on these plants it's unreal. I kept more plants than I should of, but I couldn't help myself. They are Boston pickling cucumbers and I have them in an earthbox, with the recommended 4 per box, but I kept 2 plants per spot for a total of 8. They've grown incredibly with 2 square tomato cages placed side by side. I ended up adding 6' bamboo stakes at each corner because they grew too tall. I have about 8 bees that work on them all day and so far pollination seems pretty good. This week I harvested enough cucumbers to ferment 3 quarts of kosher dills.
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
Bees showed up. There's so many flowers on these plants it's unreal. I kept more plants than I should of, but I couldn't help myself. They are Boston pickling cucumbers and I have them in an earthbox, with the recommended 4 per box, but I kept 2 plants per spot for a total of 8. They've grown incredibly with 2 square tomato cages placed side by side. I ended up adding 6' bamboo stakes at each corner because they grew too tall. I have about 8 bees that work on them all day and so far pollination seems pretty good. This week I harvested enough cucumbers to ferment 3 quarts of kosher dills.
Yay!! that is awesome
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If you see bees, bumble bees, butterflies ,... probably there is no need for hand pollinating. But it is simple to do.
Pick a male flower, gently without shaking too much. Remove the petals , gently or fold back. Take it tofamale flowers and make them kiss and pronounce them husband and wife.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote