Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 22, 2012   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggs on tomato leaves- good or bad?

So I'm already in aphid squishing mode and worried about wiping out beneficial eggs along with the bad guys. Does anyone have a link to or recommendation of a book that is a good garden resource with pictures of eggs found in the garden?

I've been searching on Google for quite a while looking for a good resource for identification of the different eggs that might be found on tomato leaves. I'm familiar with green lacewing, lady beetle & hornworm eggs, but I found nearly 100 tiny white eggs that look like pearls on the underside of a rather small tomato leaf. Under 15x magnification there doesn't appear to be any color difference, indentation, etc. The closest I found were some type of butterfly eggs. Do they sound like eggs of a beneficial or do they get squished?

Thanks,

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If that many, look at the spider mite eggs online.ornworms 1-2-4 at most.Lbugs 4=6 yellow,laces about the same.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If that many, look at the spider mite eggs online.ornworms 1-2-4 at most.Lbugs 4=6 yellow,laces about the same.
I checked it out, Kurt, but that's not it. They are tightly clustered together in even rows and look very white in appearance. I remember seeing them once last year and just getting rid of them. I've checked all the leaves of 150 tomato plants and these eggs were only on one leaf.
Old May 22, 2012   #4
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Stink bug eggs?

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you still have that leaf take inside put in plastic bag top open and watch for what comes out.Check out Mojaves suggestion and only other would be whitefly for that amount.
Old May 22, 2012   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=wh...ord_rolloverIf this is it just got deposited(fresh)
Old May 22, 2012   #7
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Yellow or orange eggs can be ladybugs. Don't squish those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (15.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ladybugeggstwo6.jpg (48.7 KB, 42 views)
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug eggs! Thanks, Mojave- mystery solved. Too late to hatch to be sure as they went down the toilet with the next flush.

Can't tell you how many of these things I killed last year and how many we've found stashed away in the garden shed in every conceivable spot. I haven't seen them out and about in the garden yet, so it's kind of surprising to find these eggs already. I'll definitely keep my eye out for more, though.
Old May 22, 2012   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default ...or maybe not.

So I decided to look up more pictures of brown marmorated stink bug eggs and after looking at three different sites, I've read three different descriptions of their eggs. None of them match the first image that I saw which was labeled as eggs of the BMSB and which matched the eggs on the leaf I had. Oh well, my goal was to rule out the possibility of them belonging to a beneficial and it seems that's highly unlikely.

Thanks for the suggestions.

kath
Old May 23, 2012   #10
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kath!!!

I have nothing to offer you concerning an answer.
I've been closely checking my plants each day for any signs of aphids after some left over seedlings had some.
I have sprayed for them.
We also had a cloudburst of rain yesterday for over an hour which I'm very sure has washed any aphids along with my insecticide off my leaves.

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

that brown marmorated stink bug sounds like one nasty critter! i have read about it but so far as i know it is not here in ct or at least not in my garden.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Hi Kath!!!

I've been closely checking my plants each day for any signs of aphids after some left over seedlings had some.
I have sprayed for them.
We also had a cloudburst of rain yesterday for over an hour which I'm very sure has washed any aphids along with my insecticide off my leaves.

Julia
Hi, Julia!

I'm really trying not to spray because I don't want to harm the beneficials and because it's always wet. Being next to the river, we get a lot of fog and dew in addition to the rainy drizzly stuff that's been our lot lately. This morning I took a look at the Cornell late blight map and the red dots are too close for comfort- they're predicting possible outbreaks by the weekend to my south and west.

I have trouble with aphids every year and when they colonize on the underside of a leaf I've never seen the rain have an impact. They seem to love some plants especially. There is a Terhune plant that's a bit over 2' tall now and I had to smoosh aphids on every single one of it's leaves the other day!

Through the research I did online yesterday, I did learn what parasitized aphids look like and won't be squishing them along with the aphids any more.

Hope you remain relatively aphid-free-

kath
Old May 23, 2012   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
that brown marmorated stink bug sounds like one nasty critter! i have read about it but so far as i know it is not here in ct or at least not in my garden.

tom
Tom, they are just gross and I hope that you never get to see one up close & personal.

kath
Old May 23, 2012   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Hi Kath!!!

I have sprayed for them.

Julia
I'm really trying not to spray because I don't want to harm the beneficials and because it's always wet. Being next to the river, we get a lot of fog and dew in addition to the rainy drizzly stuff that's been our lot lately. This morning I took a look at the Cornell late blight map and the red dots are too close for comfort- they're predicting possible outbreaks by the weekend to my south and west. The slugs are going crazy too- yesterday I spent over an hour combing the potatoes and brassicas, snipping them with my scissors!

I have trouble with aphids every year and when they colonize on the underside of a leaf I've never seen the rain have an impact. They seem to love some plants especially. There is a Terhune plant that's a bit over 2' tall now and I had to smoosh aphids on every single one of it's leaves the other day!

Through the research I did online yesterday, I did learn what parasitized aphids look like and won't be squishing them along with the aphids any more.

Hope you remain relatively aphid-free-

kath