Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 28, 2012   #16
zorro777
Tomatovillian™

How long were the roots when you dug them up?
zorro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #17
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

They should be fine smaller than they would have been but fine. Garlic is the easiest thing to grow they are tough lol hard to kill even for me...
Old March 31, 2012   #18
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess we'll see come May or June, which is garlic harvesting time here.

I'm already starting to see new leaves growing out the middles of the plants, so maybe that's a good sign. They're getting plenty of rain and I mixed in fertilizer when I planted them. I'm just hoping to get something that's worth re-planting next year.

I also transplanted a bunch of I'itois onions and Japanese bunching onions at the same time, but I'm sure those will be fine. Bunching onions are tough.
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #19
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

It is a great sign that you have new growth...I know when I harvest my garlic I wait until the leaves turn yellow and droop after they bulb.
When I have pulled the garlic before the yellow/drooping leaves they were much smaller.
With clipping the tops you may need to wait a bit longer to harvest for the plant to recover.
I grow all my garlic in earthboxes so I have not dealt with the transplant issue but have had experience with the tops...
I love homegrown garlic and would not have left them at the other house either !!
Good Luck...
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote