Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 4, 2006   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default SEEDS TO PLANT ??

I would like to know how many of each would you plant for tasting and saving seeds if you were a newbie without being overwhelmed?
Old September 4, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Richard,

When you say "newbie," do you have any experience in gardening or farm work? I mean you probably have plenty of experience in gardening other than tomatoes, right? So, you can probably figure it's gonna take the same kind of effort as other gardening/farming pursuits.

I like to grow at least two of each kind simply because sometimes one will be a dud or an off-type. Some folks grow one of each kind to maximize their diverse collection.

As far as savin' seeds, you can always save the seeds from the tomatoes that have splits or been damaged by stinkbugs or whatever, and serve the best ones to your friends and family.

Between now and next spring, you'll pick up a lotta helpful hints on building beds, spacing, caging, mulching, and other tips that'll end up eventually lowering your weeding and other labor and raising your yield.

And, got kids? Put'm to work!

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If you are starting tomato plants from seed, I'd check the great FAQ at GW.

Where I differ is, I start in cells, not a seed starting pan. I put 2 seeds per cell, being careful not to plant the seeds too deep (especially cherries and small fruited varieties). Start with soilless starting mix that's been pre-soaked and don't water again until the soil starts to dry out. I spot water the cells that need it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #4
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Papa Vic and feldon for your replies ! Yep Papa Vic i'm just a newbie when it comes to heirloom tomatoes as far as other veggies that is a little different i grow for my family and the soup kitchen in Iuka so i plant quite alot so i have enough for us here and i just hope its enough for the hungry i know i can't feed everyone but if i can help a few its all worth it to me :wink: ! feldon i plan on starting mine in 4" pots and i gonna go from them to the ground after getting them adjusted to being outside. I also plant 2 or 3 seeds per pot that way i have a better chance at getting at least one to sprout . I think i'm gonna go for two 4" pots of each i don't want to go crazy because i need to find which ones my family likes and go from there.
Old September 5, 2006   #5
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

You can save seeds from fruit you want to eat. Just poke out the seeds and gel and you have slices that can be chopped to add to a salsa.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote