Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 24, 2010   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Lets talk watering and watering schedules.

This year I'm using drip along by rainbird in my beds. I purchased 200 ft of 1 gph. These quarter inch lines have a inline dripper every foot. I would have really like to find something that had inline drippers every 6inch but the best I could do was every 12 inch. I didn't want to spend the money nor invest the time in putting together my own custom drip this year. Right now we have been getting rain half the week here so I have turned the timer of for now, but I'm figuring and hour a week to start off with and see how that goes. I would really like to narrow the watering thing down so the plants are getting JUST enough water and nothing more.

So what are your watering methods and schedules? Has anybody here used T-tape before, I saw this in the PV catalog and was thinking of trying next year.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #2
Gardenrube
Tomatovillian™

I tried overhead sprinkler watering two years ago and seemed to have really good results w/o much disease. That year I planted all OP varieties with BrandyBoy being the exception. That was the best tomato year I have had.

Last year I miracle-gro'd twice and because we had weekly rainfall I didn't water at all. I had all hybrids last year and had lot's of disease problems...but like I said last year was fairly cold in May/June and regular rainfall afterwards...so I partially blame the weather. My production stunk too.

My father in law puts a soaker hose next to the stem of his tomato rows and has excellent production every year even after planting in the same spot.

I think I am going to try the soaker hose setup this year and see how it goes.
Gardenrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #3
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

This year I'm using a wick at the bottom of each container to tell me when to water....when it feels dry, I'll water. My tendency in years past was to overwater.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #4
VORTREKER
Tomatovillian™

Default Dripper hose

"T Tape" has emitters at 4-8-10-12-16-and 24 inches ranging from .17 to .67 gpm
Old April 25, 2010   #5
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

chalstonsc- I do the same with my containers.

vortreker- thanks for the info.
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote