Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 1, 2016   #46
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Minnesota Midget vines are compact.
I'm glad I asked! I guess growing them up to the pergola is out! I'll save it for the cucumbers.
Old May 1, 2016   #47
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Two watermelons this year:

Baby Doll F1
Blacktail Mountain

Fingers crossed it works out at the main garden, if not, they usually produce at the beach garden without fail.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #48
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Adriana - But the look on your face when you looked back and forth between the vines and the pergola would have been priceless.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #49
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have :
Melons:
Casaba
Juan canary ( love!)

Tuscany
Hales best
Rocky ford green flesh
Ginkaku
Green nutmeg
Watermelon:
Tenderweet Orange
Moon and stars yellow
Tom Watson
Sangria

These are all new to me but we've eaten some of the melons from the produce market when we were in AZ. I have no idea where I'll put all these but we do love melons! May either grow the smaller ones vertically or do 2 batches,since we have a long season.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #50
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I finally went with the old heirloom Hero of Lockinge, I had 6 old seeds, 4 germinated and are doing well.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #51
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Adriana - But the look on your face when you looked back and forth between the vines and the pergola would have been priceless.
Yeah, like WTF? Maybe I should get oversized hanging baskets and let the 3-4' vines hang down from the pergola...
Old June 12, 2016   #52
jpmack515
Tomatovillian™

Growing Crenshaw melons and Sugar Baby watermelons
jpmack515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #53
DjonesNC
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 Melon Varieties

This year in my Melon category I'm growing Jake's Melon, Kajari, Tigger, Moon & Stars & Sweet Siberian. I'm still waiting on the Watermelons to germinate; but the others are doing just fine so far.
DjonesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #54
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

CUCUMBER REPORT

Sweet Success, Calypso and Monika have been outstanding thus far. Each has its own flavor profile and they thrive in the RGGS setup.

Starting up more containers with Super Zagross Beit Alpha, White Emerald, and Hoffman's Johanna.

My watermelon seedlings are ready to go!!!
Old July 21, 2016   #55
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear, one thing I learned this year was cucumbers need way more water than tomatoes and was thinking the RGGS would be perfect for them. My Sweet Success have done so well I'm a little in shock. I been growing cukes for years and never anything like this production. I like the flavor as well and plan to grow forever now. Next year I want to grow H-19 Little leaf as my pickling cukes.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #56
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone grow Cream of Saskatchewan watermelon? What are your thoughts on it? I read about it in a book I read a couple years ago (Seasons on Henry's Farm). They loved it and it was an on-farm only treat (didn't take it market) because I guess it splits if you look at it wrong, but is supposed to be very delicious.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #57
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I am growing one watermelons this year:
Blacktail Mountain
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #58
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I am growing a watermelon called Crispy Critter from Willhite Seed. It is a hybrid that is supposed to be between 7 and 10 pounds. Should know in another month how good it tastes.
Old July 21, 2016   #59
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing one watermelon this year but don't know the name. My wife's grandfather always grew this yellow meated melon and we have been keeping it going in the family.
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #60
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Good to hear, one thing I learned this year was cucumbers need way more water than tomatoes and was thinking the RGGS would be perfect for them. My Sweet Success have done so well I'm a little in shock. I been growing cukes for years and never anything like this production. I like the flavor as well and plan to grow forever now. Next year I want to grow H-19 Little leaf as my pickling cukes.
I am in awe of S. Success too. Monika is just as prolific and probably tastier if harvested at the right moment.

They need almost 2x the water/ferts.

I've been providing H2O via the tube + a granulated fertilizer strip, and subsequent foliar supplementation. I've never had healthier cucumbers. They even handle our 1-2 pm scorch, with leaves larger than my hand wilting only a tiny bit.

I highly recommend wet feet for cucumbers.

Blacktail Mountain (1st time) and Baby Doll F1 will be placed in two 45 gallon rootpots, surrounded by CRW + chicken wire cages. Every year my dogs find a way to get to the watermelons, not this summer. Corn will go in the same setup, as it seems to be just as appetizing to them. Nevertheless, the beach garden already has both of those watermelons in the ground. Fingers crossed.

Tags
cantaloupe , watermelon