Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 3, 2011   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Tomatoes-dumb question

I am dying of curiosity and simply had to ask the experts here at TV. My family is Italian and we always had red tomatoes, and red tomatoes. Different shapes, different flavors, but always red (or Pink too). Past few years I've been experimenting with others like Pineapple and I have a big list for next year with a few new gardening areas where I am digging up lawn to put tomatoes that will be all colors. My question about tomatoes that are green when ripe is, do they taste like ripe red/pink tomatoes, or do they taste like unripe (green) red tomatoes? I see descriptions that say some are balanced tart/sweet and am wondering what that really means.

Do I need to actually taste one to understand ? lol.... As I sit here looking at all the new seeds I bought this year from various sources, and a few trades, I am wondering if I should get a green and if I would even like it, so any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

To me a green when ripe tomato, generally speaking, tastes very similar to a purple or black tomato except that the GWR does not have the full depth of flavor as the purple or black tomatoes, but rather has a brighter, slightly citrus flavor. No they do not taste like an unripe tomato at all.

If you like sweet pink and purple tomatoes, then you will like GWR tomatoes too. I don't think you'll be using them for the same cooking purposes as red Italian tomatoes, but they are very good in salads, salsas, or fresh sliced.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

ah, okay. I got some orange tomatoes at a farmer's market that were nice, sweet, but on the mild side. My son and I both agreed that while it was a great tomato in a BLT, it wasn't so great with fresh mozzarella and basil. I guess each tomato has it's shining star moments and the fun is figuring it all out, right? Thanks for the description, it really helps!

Now to figure out which green one I want to try next year ! Suggestions?

Never mind, I just saw another green tomato post looks like I have CG on the list then

Last edited by lakelady; September 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added info
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote