Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2011   #16
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Personal Message sent.
Neil G.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2011   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
The Guker's Special I am growing this year did not have it first ripe fruit until 8/20. It was planted the first week of May. I was out of town for 3 days and returned and the GS had 5 or 6 ripe or near ripe on it weighing 12-16 oz.
I tried Guker's Special this year and from a May 14th planting got the first fruit on July 27th. A pruned vine produced 5 fruits weighing 7.2 to 22.8 oz. The plant was removed just before Irene, but it was finished anyway.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #18
macmex
Tomatovillian™

I haven't. Perhaps the name reflects only the belief of the one who named it. I'd love to hear their story. When I lived in Mexico, for nearly 14 years, I lost most of my pre-1987 seeds. So, when we returned to the USA I set about getting some back. I requested Pruden's Purple from a fellow in PA and grew it in 2002. It was definitely not my Prudence Purple. The growth habit was more rampant and fruit quality more prone to cracking & spoilage. But that seed also threw some regular leafed plants. I decided it wasn't a decent representative of Pruden' Purple, as it was crossed. The strain I have rarely reaches over 5' tall. Plants are fairly stocky; and it always has potato leaf foliage.

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote