Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2011   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Open pollinated Sungold?

Would someone please clue me in as to how this is coming along, I am confused about what I have tried to read, there seems to be a few claims to this but am unsure is it has actually happened now or is still in the process.

Thank you XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine,

There are at least a few different OP Sungolds being offered. Sungold Select and Big Sungold are two. Additionally, I imagine there are many more de-hybridizing efforts still in the early pre-release stage. My own offering is at the F5 stage - it is a multiflora Sungold and if it remains stable for two more generations I hope to release it in 2013.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the info, do you know any differences in the first two you mentioned comparing them to the hybrid one please?
Your one sounds fascinating, I shall look forward to that..where would I be able to then get it from when released and how does it compare ?
Old August 16, 2011   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

The two I listed are described at Tania's. There may be more. I'll PM you about mine.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I will look them up, great to get the actual names.

XX Jeannine
Old August 16, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Jeannine, the four best ones known are:

Sungold Select
Sungold Select II
Big Sungold
Big Sungold Select.

The first two were developed by Reinhard Kraft in Germany. The second two were ones sent to Manfred Hamm directly, Reinhard's friend who sells seed off Reinhard's website ( in German)

Seeds for all four are available in the US/Canada and have been for a long time I think most folks prefer the first two, but not all who say that have perhaps grown the second two. Baker Creek has been offering a wrong SSII for several years now.

Reinhard sent seeds of the last one to both Brad Gates and me last year, and we both found out that it wasn't stable and some off color types appeared. I'll probably off it again. And yes, I told Reinhard about it and he can tell Manfred.

Then there's another one called Ambrosia, that was bred by someone here at Tville. But it turned ou the seeds he sent were still not stable; Lee N got red ones and Craig and I got the orange ones and I don't know right now if I'll be offering seeds of either al though Lee G who bred it said he has no problems with my distributing the red seed. And if so I'm sure he would have no problems with my distributing seeds for the orange/ SInce my tomatoes are a disaster it will depends on Lee N and Craig if they are able to send me enuf orange seed/ I had 6 of the oranges here and I ate them ASAP

Then there's Lucky Sun, a work in progress and the initial cross was between Sungold F1 and Lucky Cross and this one has been discussed here quite recently by Fusion. Not available yet.

Then there are those who say if you want something that tastes like Sungold F1, then grow Sungold F1.
Old August 16, 2011   #7
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, tons of info to go at.. I saw the ones at Baker Creek, actually I was a bit wary of the claims I saw generally on the net hence the post.

Sungold is very special I must admit and I always do grow it but ut would be nice to get an OP one if possible..

You said that the Baker Creek one is iffy, is there a source you would rely on in the US for any of them to buy at this time.

I will look upo all the names given , thankyou XX Jeannine
Old August 16, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Thanks Carolyn, tons of info to go at.. I saw the ones at Baker Creek, actually I was a bit wary of the claims I saw generally on the net hence the post.

Sungold is very special I must admit and I always do grow it but ut would be nice to get an OP one if possible..

You said that the Baker Creek one is iffy, is there a source you would rely on in the US for any of them to buy at this time.

I will look upo all the names given , thankyou XX Jeannine
The Sungold Select II offered at Baker Creek is throwing red fruited plants as they mention in the blurb, or did the alst time I looked, so they have a cross somewhere.

Tania offers Sungold Select, I just looked, so that's OK

I think I remember seeing that Solana Seeds also offers Sungold Select II, or at least did last year, so you can check that out as well, but I'm not so sure about Solana Seeds and varieties. Maybe you can ask some of your Canadian friends about them to see what they think.

Tania, Jeff Casey, both in Canada, are offering Big Sungold Select as well as Marianne Jones as mariseeds in the US. All should be fine as places to buy the seeds as I see it.

She has no listing for Big Sungold Select II but Brand Gates was selling them last I knew and I was giving them away for a SASE in my annual seed offer.

Now you don't have to go to Tania's site b'c I did it for you.
Old August 16, 2011   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine,

I can send you Sungold Select seeds - just let me know if you still need them. Alternatively, you can pick them up when you come to reclaim your self-watering buckets - you know that you can have anything from my seed collection, right?

Btw, I am growing your Mayoral Blue squash this year, and it finally got 3 babies, so I am very hopeful for some seed saving opportunities there. I wish I did not lose your Queen's Heart tomato...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my Big Sungold Select is sold out. I need to re-grow it next year. My seed source was Ted, and everything grew true to type!

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tania, thank you, you are very kind I will happily accept the seeds.. I also was looking for a friend so I will give them your site details and let them get their own as much as they need, they are in the UK.

Wonderful news about the Mayoral Blue, I planted my last two seeds this year, I gave them a place where they would be isolated and was still prepared to bag ,the plants are way away from any other gardeners and I guess the soil is not so good. I had a whole heap of assorted other squash ,all blue varieties, left over after folks took what they wanted so I planted them all together just for the harvest in another area because I didn't care about them crossing and of course they are growing and cross pollinating like champions . but the Mayoral Blues are sulking..so please hold on to those babies.... very precious. and if they make it pleeese will you save me a few seeds.

We may get some very interesting crosses from the blue patch though..maybe I will save some and see what comes. LOL

Thank you for info re the one you don't have but I will be happy to have a few of the Sungold Select when I see you for the empties!!

I was planning on growing the Queen this year and simply forgot to sow it,,thought I had but such is the aged mind, anyway I have enough for both of us and I will grow it next year as a back up so we should be just fine..

Take care, I hope things are picking up for you, the seed catalogues will start coming any day now, always makes me look forward to next year.

Carolyn, thank you again for tons of info..I really appreciate it.

XX Jeannine
Old August 16, 2011   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Carolyn, thank you again for tons of info..I really appreciate it.

No problem, just remember me with the Queen and the Madam as you once offered to me.
Old August 16, 2011   #12
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I have just split the last seeds of Queen with Tania (in post today) but I have more of Madame Jardels, you told me that small amounts of seed don't work for you, so how many would be useful to you..you are very welcome.

XX Jeannine
Old August 17, 2011   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I just had a stash search and I have Big Sungold I think I got them from you Tania. LOL

XX Jeannine
Old August 17, 2011   #14
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I recall growing Sungold Select (not sure if it was II) and Big Sungold Select from Carolyn's seed offer of two years ago. Neither of them really tasted like the original Sungold.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #15
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have been pondering my thread for a couple of days and would really like to find some Ambrosia seeds if anyone is able to help.

Thank you

XX Jeannine