Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Split Fruit?

It has been wet here the past few days, but we only recieved around 1/4 inch. Today was absolutely beautiful except I came home to find my first set fruit of the year nearly split in half. I have never seen one split this early and with so little rain. I just dont understand. Variety is Indian Stripe and I dont recall any major splitting issues being mentioned concerning this variety. Edit to add: This fruit wasnt even golf ball size yet

I took a picture after pulling it but cant post it right now
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2009   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Evidently, this is not normal or is rare since there have been no replies. I am completely baffled and have no idea why this would happen even after doing as much research as I could over the past several hours. Nothing I have read mentions early fruit cracks like this. It is not the normal concentric or radial cracking that occurs as fruit is close to ripening or in the mature stage. But it does look just like cracking that occurs after a good rain. I am competely puzzled as to why. It is only one fruit so I am not going to lose any sleep over it but would like to understand what is going on and if any others out there have experienced the same.
Old March 17, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Did the water pool up around or near the soil/stem?

Do you have a neighbor who waters too much; and lets the water overflow?

Is there water draining from someone else's eaves? (Look for damage to the soil for that.)

Does your soil have good drainage where the plant is? (Muddy areas should show that.)

Any underground water leaks?

Just thinking....

~* Robin
Old March 17, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

No to all of the above (except the good drainage part) but thanks for replying

Last edited by duajones; March 17, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old March 17, 2009   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

here are a couple pics

Old March 17, 2009   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Looks like catfacing

~* Robin
Old March 17, 2009   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Duane, hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it also looks like catfacing to me.

Is there any epidermis (mostly or completely) covering the surfaces of those cracks (if so, probably catfacing), or is the interior actually exposed?

Can't say I have ever seen splitting or bursting at such an early stage of fruit development, even if excessive water was applied via rain or my own overwatering.

Edit/add - the first pic definitely looks like catfacing, unsure on the second one.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

The interior was completely exposed and no signs of critters or anything else, just a big crack. I am puzzled and I certainly hope its not a trend, just a one time freak deal.
I have heard people describe varieties as being really prone to cracking, even say they crack if clouds form. I dont think Indian Stripe is supposed to be all that prone,at least I hope not.
Old March 17, 2009   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Why I thought the first picture looked like catfacing was because of the brown I can see along the edges of the "crack". But maybe that is just a lighting/shading difference between the first pic and the second one.

No, Indian Stripe is not particularly prone to cracking.

In any case, hopefully this is a one time deal - post back if other fruits end up being affected too.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for responding again Suze. I have to apologize about picture quality as my camera isnt the best. The brown that is seen is genuine as the fruit was picked only moments before the pic was taken. I am glad to hear from you that Indian Stripe isnt prone to this problem and am looking forward to future fruits from this outstanding variety, from what I have heard.
My plants look great otherwise, maybe the best they have been at this point since I started. So, I wont lose sleep over this and am hoping for the best from this variety as well as all the other great ones I am growing.

Duane