Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 29, 2010   #1
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Default Rope light seed heating

This year I waited too long before buying a seed mat from Smith and Hawken's liquidation...but after I came across Jimche's post here on TV and doing some research online, I decided to try rope light. I'm too lazy to build anything and being in So Cal there is plenty of sun, so I threw together a mini hoophouse and ran power off a GFCI outlet to a timer leading to the rope light and a fan. Oh, again I didn't set anything up like the link above just set a 10x20 flat atop about 6 feet of rope light. I can take pics but there is nothing really spectacular about it.

I am happy to report it works great! The soil temp indoors is around 75 degrees but since it was outdoors the temp hit 95! I hope I didn't kill them.

I hope this helps anyone who can't invest in an expensive heat mat. I'm sure there are ways of raising or lowering the plants above the lights, putting a material between the the two, or using a dimmer to regulate the output of the lights to get the right temp. Anyone else using rope lights?
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote