Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2014   #61
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

After a long weekend offline, I'm still catching up on emails and PM's. I'll answer them, and a few more questions here when I find time.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #62
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Regarding pepper seeds, you stated that the peppers were to have bagged blossoms or had to be commercial. How do we know commercial seeds=true?

What about peppers that were purchased - not in a grocery store - but from a company that grows peppers? I'm assuming these purchased peppers were OP, since the company probably does not isolate all of the plants.

If we need to have isolated/bagged blossoms, then I probably will not be able to contribute the peppers I grew myself. Next year, if we have a pepper swap, I'll consciously isolate plants.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #63
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I will make a point to send whatever is on Vladimir's list that I have special for him. He shares a name with my former favorite brother in law lol.

This year I decided I'm not as much a fan of pinks as I am of reds ( a few exceptions), and of course blacks, and I want more paste tomatoes as I give away too many fresh tomatoes since I'm pretty much the only one in the house who eats them but everyone here eats sauce.

Gary I have a special seed I'm going to send up to you with my submission because you have been very generous with me. Hope you like it!
Old September 2, 2014   #64
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

oh and I would be HAPPY to take Porters or Rutgers. I think I'm the only girl in NJ who has never grown Rutgers lol....
Old September 2, 2014   #65
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I see in wanted post people are posting what they are sending as well as what they can send from ¨wanted ¨ list. mmm, should I go ahead and attempt to create my list of what I have and what I likely will be sending... another question if specifically send to cover some wants should it be labeled with that person name...
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #66
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
oh and I would be HAPPY to take Porters or Rutgers. I think I'm the only girl in NJ who has never grown Rutgers lol....
Lol, there are lots of Texas Varieties I haven't ever seen or heard of and I've been here 49 years. I plan on sending in both Rutgers and Porters.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #67
Geezer
Tomatovillian™

Tormato,
Being a newbie at this, and wanting to join in, could you post a list of what the most likely categories will be for this year? This looks like a whole lotta fun!

Evil Ed
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #68
TheWizard
Tomatovillian™

I'm in, 100% committed. I've got a few 2-3 types of tomatos that I can gather 100 seeds for.
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #69
TheLoud
Tomatovillian™

I was just wondering if Heather was doing her swap again, and found this. Thanks for organizing it. Is this the big tomato seed exchange this year? Is there a concise list of the rules somewhere? How many varieties should I be saving seeds from?
TheLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #70
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

TheLoud - I'm new at this too. I was hoping Heather would have her swap, because I am in Canada also and it would be easier all around. I have read all the threads and past posts about this swap, so here is my understanding:

1. We post up to 15 varieties on our "wish list" (wishlist thread in the 'wanted seed' forum)

2. We choose one or more 'categories' to participate in. The official categories this year have not been posted, but there is basically a category for each type of tomato (cherry, big, sweet, red, pink, black, paste, canning, striped, green, etc.). In order to participate in a category, we must send in 10 packs of 5-10 seeds of the same type. We will then receive 10 different varieties in that category from others.

3. We send in any other seed we have and want to share as 'bonuses'. Tormato will post many of the 'wanted' seeds from the wishlists, and if you have some send in packs of those (5-10 seeds each). The bonuses get distributed mostly fairly to everyone. It sounds like people are often generous. Some people last year said they sent in 10 seed packs and received 45...

I am saving enough seed to participate in 5 categories, and lots of bonus seeds too of all different types. I'm having fun saving seeds, and excited to share!

( and someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above!)
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #71
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
I see in wanted post people are posting what they are sending as well as what they can send from ¨wanted ¨ list. mmm, should I go ahead and attempt to create my list of what I have and what I likely will be sending... another question if specifically send to cover some wants should it be labeled with that person name...

I was wondering the same thing, but I know that was not needed or asked for last year so I'm going to keep what I'm sending a mystery (as the name of the swap implies) unless Gary decides to change the "rules."
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2014   #72
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Agreed...that is the 'mystery' aspect of the swap...recipients should have NO IDEA what they are getting until they open the package sometime in November or December. The word of the day is 'sssssshhhhh!'
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2014   #73
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oops.... my bad. I missed this discussion while posting in the other thread.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2014   #74
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Regarding pepper seeds, you stated that the peppers were to have bagged blossoms or had to be commercial. How do we know commercial seeds=true?

What about peppers that were purchased - not in a grocery store - but from a company that grows peppers? I'm assuming these purchased peppers were OP, since the company probably does not isolate all of the plants.

If we need to have isolated/bagged blossoms, then I probably will not be able to contribute the peppers I grew myself. Next year, if we have a pepper swap, I'll consciously isolate plants.

If people are not concerned about purity they can say so on there sent in paper wish list. Those who send peppers can say commercial (usually with a circled C) or homegrown (either bagged/isolated or not). I sent some unbagged pepper seeds out last year, and they turned out to be true to type. I did mention they were unbagged.
Old September 4, 2014   #75
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

A send in list is not needed for posting, here. It is required to be sent in, on paper, with your wish list. If you are sponsoring someone with certain seeds, let me know on your paper wish list/send in list who your are sponsoring.