Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 8, 2016   #526
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

After reading about some of the adverse effects I'm not having a darn thing to do with this stuff until further research and investigation.
Liver problems are not to be taken lightly.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #527
salix
Tomatovillian™

Alex, I too get little SCOBYs in the second fermentation bottles. Do you filter yours through a coffee filter or just through a mesh strainer before refrigerating?
Old December 8, 2016   #528
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

What have you read? It would be good to know. I have not experienced and adverse effect unless except a little flatulence.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #529
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Alex, I too get little SCOBYs in the second fermentation bottles. Do you filter yours through a coffee filter or just through a mesh strainer before refrigerating?
I don't filter at all. I just pour into bottles and then add some ginger or fruit and after a week or so put them in the fridge.

Bob Dylan
Old December 8, 2016   #530
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
What have you read? It would be good to know. I have not experienced and adverse effect unless except a little flatulence.
Something on the wikipedea link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha#Adverse_effects

Not cutting it down I just want to know the truth before I start something.
I consider you guys the truth.
Old December 8, 2016   #531
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Something on the wikipedea link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha#Adverse_effects

Not cutting it down I just want to know the truth before I start something.
I consider you guys the truth.
I can't claim to know the truth, and I am always interested to hear from anyone who has some doubts, thanks for the link. You can never be sure with anything. My wife is really grossed out by the scoby. This stuff has been around for centuries, apparently the Mongols and other Asian soldiers carried with them on their campaigns.

Bob Dylan

Last edited by velikipop; December 8, 2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old December 8, 2016   #532
oakley
Tomatovillian™

It is fermentation. You will read and find something to read for and against just about every subject.
Those that manufacture processed foods and sugary crap soda are getting hit in the pocketbook big time. Obviously they will make sure anything in their way will be quack and dangerous.
I make my own vinegars. Pickles, cheeses, Kimchi, kraut...but never canned or heat processed.
And have both books by Sandor Katz. Good reads and gives confidence.

We are in a good steady rotation and my second fermentation is just 24 hours, then into the fridge.
It is the small amount of beet, it's sugars, that kicks mine into a nice mild fizz. I do let
my fresh first batch go 10 days to two weeks depending on the pantry temp to get it more
'savory' and less sweet. Almost a vinegar. Then the second fermentation gives that special and personal beverage kick and what makes it so much fun. My growlers are about the size of a beer bottle. A couple are double that. Never did the math but i bet it is about 25-50 cents.
I'm not preaching it at all. Just like that others are enjoying it as well. And willing to help
if anyone want to give it a go. I suggest to purchase one first. If you like coke and sugary soda it may taste flat and gross, ...if you like seltzer with lemon and ginger...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #533
salix
Tomatovillian™

Worth, as Oakley has stated, there are pro- and anti- arguments for all things. To the best of my knowledge, most of the bad experiences with Kombucha are repeat tellings of the same 4 or 5 incidents over the past 30 years. In a couple of cases, an underlying condition (HIV, alcoholism, other drug complications) were probably a big cause of the poor outcomes. Also, the amounts ingested - any sensible person would probably not drink 2 quarts or more in a few hours for the first time trying it.

The other chief causes of problems seem to have been hygienic issues and/or storage and fermentation containers. Fermentation vessels that contain lead or other heavy metals are NOT a good thing, as the SCOBYs apparently concentrate them. Other issues have arisen because of poor cleaning or environmental issues, e.g.. mould, other pathological bacteria. Believe me, I always research before trying anything new, and I feel fairly confident that my brews are just fine.
Old December 9, 2016   #534
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wiki is not always the gospel truth either.
Some information is lacking big time on things.

Plus as you guys said keep telling a lie long enough and it becomes fact.
I couldn't ferment anything as long as my wife was alive.
She was petrified of anything like it.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; December 9, 2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old December 9, 2016   #535
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
It is fermentation. You will read and find something to read for and against just about every subject.
Those that manufacture processed foods and sugary crap soda are getting hit in the pocketbook big time. Obviously they will make sure anything in their way will be quack and dangerous.
I make my own vinegars. Pickles, cheeses, Kimchi, kraut...but never canned or heat processed.
And have both books by Sandor Katz. Good reads and gives confidence.

We are in a good steady rotation and my second fermentation is just 24 hours, then into the fridge.
It is the small amount of beet, it's sugars, that kicks mine into a nice mild fizz. I do let
my fresh first batch go 10 days to two weeks depending on the pantry temp to get it more
'savory' and less sweet. Almost a vinegar. Then the second fermentation gives that special and personal beverage kick and what makes it so much fun. My growlers are about the size of a beer bottle. A couple are double that. Never did the math but i bet it is about 25-50 cents.
I'm not preaching it at all. Just like that others are enjoying it as well. And willing to help
if anyone want to give it a go. I suggest to purchase one first. If you like coke and sugary soda it may taste flat and gross, ...if you like seltzer with lemon and ginger...
I make kraut as well, not always what I would like it to be, either too salty or soft. I also pickle whole cabbage and use it to make cabbage rolls or just eat it sliced up with some hot smoked paprika sprinkled on top. It is a tradition I grew up with in Serbia.

Growing up I remember that every fall my parents and many of the neighbours would pickle all sorts of vegetables for the winter. This was in the sixties when only a few people owned fridges and pickling was the only way to preserve vegetables for the winter.

I like the Katz book also, I just wish that it was organized better so that the recipes are more accessible and clearer. But if anyone wants to understand the science behind fermentation it is the go to book.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old December 9, 2016   #536
salix
Tomatovillian™

Alex - do you make kefir (or yogurt)? Use a couple tablespoons of the whey on top of the chopped cabbage after it is very lightly salted, and massaged/pounded/compressed into your storage container. I use glass for all my fermentation 'stuff' as it is inert. A little bit of salt keeps the cabbage and other vegetables crisp and the whey gives a boost to the natural bacteria to initiate a quick drop in acidity and promotes faster fermentation. I bought some packets of dried culture, but haven't used it yet because I am delighted by how my veggies (cabbage, daikon, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beets) are turning out using the whey. I do not like salt, and only a small amount is needed to keep the veggies fairly crisp.
Old December 9, 2016   #537
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Alex - do you make kefir (or yogurt)? Use a couple tablespoons of the whey on top of the chopped cabbage after it is very lightly salted, and massaged/pounded/compressed into your storage container. I use glass for all my fermentation 'stuff' as it is inert. A little bit of salt keeps the cabbage and other vegetables crisp and the whey gives a boost to the natural bacteria to initiate a quick drop in acidity and promotes faster fermentation. I bought some packets of dried culture, but haven't used it yet because I am delighted by how my veggies (cabbage, daikon, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beets) are turning out using the whey. I do not like salt, and only a small amount is needed to keep the veggies fairly crisp.
Thanks for the advice. I have never used whey, but will give it a try. I am assuming that the whey you are referring to is not the same as the whey protein powder? I have been meaning to make kefir and will probably give it a try over the Christmas break. Where do you buy the whey?

Bob Dylan
Old December 9, 2016   #538
salix
Tomatovillian™

Alex, I have never bought whey - just used what was left over after making kefir cheese. That is, taking a batch of kefir and draining/straining it overnight (I use a large round coffee filter in a strainer over a bowl) in the fridge. The curds compress into a lovely 'cheese' and the clear whey is full of good bacteria.

Now that I think on it, the whey used to be fed to swine so there must be other good stuff in there as well. Must go and do some research.

Actually, I have also cultured cream instead of milk (or almond milk, or coconut milk) and when that was drained, the resulting 'cheese' was better than any cream cheese I've ever bought...
Old December 9, 2016   #539
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I will have to give it a try. How much whey would you use for 5lbs of sauerkraut, as an example?

Bob Dylan
Old December 10, 2016   #540
salix
Tomatovillian™

Can't really tell for 5 lbs of sauerkraut - I do mine in quart jars. That is, I make up the shredded cabbage (and daikon, onion, carrot, apple etc.) in a large bowl, very lightly salted, squeeze it and then when it's nice and juicy put it into quart jars. Press down until the juice is well over the veggie level - actually I usually cover that with pieces of whole cabbage leaf tucked in all around the edge and ensure the juice covers it as well. Then I just add 2 Tablespoons of fairly fresh whey to the top and leave at room temperature until it gets to where we like it, then into the fridge.