Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 28, 2006   #1
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

Default Attempt at a self watering container

You guys are Soooooo Contagious!!! I had today off so made my first attempt at a self watering container.

I was up early, first store went to was closed so went to mine and got the silicone and PVC pipe.
Then I went to this Bargain place and they said they were out of totes. Wandered around and found This perfect sized planter for 6 bucks. So this is what I ended up with. I think it's pretty good, and I did it all by myself.
Took me a bit to figure out how to get the hole saw on the drill, have to use the hole mandrel (my Husband says that's a typo it's supposed to say Man Drill ha ha!

Anyway by the time he got home I was done )

Oh that is a 20 Gallon tote (the Blue one)

JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006   #2
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Awesome JBinkC!!

Welcome to the fun! Your Self Watering container looks great. Have you measured how much water it takes to fill the resevior? I always like to know that as it lets me know how often I will need to refill the water. When I build one I aim to get 4 / 5 gallons of water in the resevior after the soil is completely saturated.
Old May 29, 2006   #3
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

With the wick in place and full before I put it all together, it held 6 gallons of water. I put the overdrain hole a tad lower than the top of my wick so prolly 5 to 5.5

I'm realizing now I should of siliconed the PVC pipe into place too...sigh

Afterthoughts are better than no thoughts )
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote