Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2022   #1
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Default Can Different Types of Tomatillos pollinate Each Other?

Hi All, I'm growing a total of three tomatillo plants in a raised bed - Two of them are of the same variety, and the third plant is a different variety. The two that are of the same variety are growing their paper husks. (I don't actually know if that means the flowers have been pollinated, or if it's possible that the paper husks could not grow fruit inside.)

However, the third plant that is of a different variety is covered in flowers, but none are developing into paper husks. The plant itself is the most vigorous of the three and has been from the start - but no husks at all.

My Question: Can different varieties of tomatillos pollinate each other? I know it's all but required to have two plants for pollination, but I had assumed that inter-variety pollination would be possible. But with the total lack of paper husks developing on the one plant, I'm beginning to question this assumption. I've not been able to find an answer to this specific question anywhere else, so I'm hoping our group here will have something definitive to say. Thanks in advance!!
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2022   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Tomatillos are not self-pollenating and do require at least two plants grown near to each other. And yes, different varieties will pollenate each other. This will result in a cross-pollination of the varieties so that the next generation of seeds will be considered a hybrid. To keep a variety "pure" it will necessitate two or more plants of the same variety as the pollinators. If you do not plan to save seeds, the two of one kind and the other will be what they say they are this year.

It has been a few years since I have grown tomatillos, but it sounds like you will have a nice crop.
Old May 4, 2022   #3
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Tomatillos are not self-pollenating and do require at least two plants grown near to each other. And yes, different varieties will pollenate each other. This will result in a cross-pollination of the varieties so that the next generation of seeds will be considered a hybrid. To keep a variety "pure" it will necessitate two or more plants of the same variety as the pollinators. If you do not plan to save seeds, the two of one kind and the other will be what they say they are this year.

It has been a few years since I have grown tomatillos, but it sounds like you will have a nice crop.
Thanks, Paul. Yes, this is all what I had thought. I guess that one single plant of the different variety just happens to be a slower plant than the other two. Do you happen to know if the paper husk is developing, does that mean that flower was definitely pollinated and there will be a fruit developing within? Or could the development of the paper husk end up being only the husk and without fruit within? Thanks for the good info!
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote