Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 21, 2015   #46
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred-
How does Pink Tiger compare to Maglia Rosa? Big Vine, moderate vine? Taste? Does it share the "feature" of not reaching peak flavor when it looks like it is fully ripe? Do you sell it directly -- didn't see it listed at your site.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #47
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've grown them side by side. Pink Tiger gets very big, 6-8' vines for me. Maglia Rosa is a short, stocky bush, about three feet tall. I like them both.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #48
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Cole Robbie described the plant differences well, above.

I like Maglia Rosa a little better, flavorwise. It is bright, sweet and tangy.

We do sell it at our site
. Was that the site you couldn't find it at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Hi Fred-
How does Pink Tiger compare to Maglia Rosa? Big Vine, moderate vine? Taste? Does it share the "feature" of not reaching peak flavor when it looks like it is fully ripe? Do you sell it directly -- didn't see it listed at your site.
-GG
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #49
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that is the site. Still don't see it -- just Maglia Rosa. I see very few of your varieties there.

But again, is it like MR in that it does not peak when it looks ripe?

Thanks,
GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 21, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old December 21, 2015   #50
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry. I thought you were asking if Maglia Rosa was on our site.

Our site is only for varieties that are hard to get, otherwise. Sometimes that means they are new, and in other cases it means they are under-appreciated.

We don't sell generally available varieties, like Pink Tiger, on our own site, but our collaborators at Johnny's Selected Seeds have it.

The fruit qualities of Pink Tiger are similar to Maglia Rosa, but peak flavor is probably better correlated with peak color in Pink Tiger (under most conditions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Yes, that is the site. Still don't see it -- just Maglia Rosa. I see very few of your varieties there.

But again, is it like MR in that it does not peak when it looks ripe?

Thanks,
GG
Old December 21, 2015   #51
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Fred. Just ordered some. I was going to grow MR this summer, but I'm taking a year off of determinates to see if my foliage disease issues improve. I'll grow this one in dirt (not an EarthBox).
-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 21, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old December 21, 2015   #52
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Ahh. Do you have more trouble with determinates because they have more contact with the ground? Because they are bushier (and more prone to trapping moisture)?
Old December 21, 2015   #53
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

The latter. In a dry year (that farmers hate), no Septoria. But in a wet one (like last year) I have an abundance of Septoria and a dearth of good tomatoes. No Ground contact, since I grow on plastic film in cages or in EarthBoxes on a raised wood stand. From what I've seen, the determinates I've grown in especially in EB's are much more prone to devastating attacks. I'm moving to just one indeterminate in each EarthBox.

I'm also inclined to believe that the heavy fruit load of most determinates stresses the plants more, but that is just my supposition. The determinate that seems to withstand it best is Celebrity (not Iron Lady). Some varieties are rapidly "eaten." The indeterminate that has withstood it best for me is Orange Wellington.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 21, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old December 21, 2015   #54
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Is full sun an absolute must for this variety?

Last summer my pot was taken over by my curiosity in growing a multiflora. I am very over that now (production was egh). The location receives mostly morning sun. Should I return to my original plan of growing Maglia Rosa there , or is it a waste in partial shade. It does look beautiful and this is on the side near the front where my neighbors don't like to see traditional vegetables.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #55
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I think 4 hours of mid-day sun or about 1/2 day of full sun is sufficient for MR.
Old December 21, 2015   #56
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Fruit production is positively correlated with sun exposure with a caveat that full direct sun in some areas such as higher altitudes, lower latitudes, or deserts (with less moisture in the air) can be very detrimental to tomatoes. I've found that shade late in the afternoon improves production on some varieties because it reduces plant stress. This would not be true in areas with less direct sun such as northern tier states.

For areas with very high solar intensity, please consider using shade cloth with 30% to 45% solar reduction. For areas with less than 5 hours of full sun per day, you can surround plants with reflective aluminum foil which increases solar absorption significantly. Be careful, increasing exposure beyond effective levels can sun crisp your plants.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #57
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Great info, as usual, Fusion.

I grow a few plants in my suburban home garden, but the backyard faces north and there are covenants against vegetables being in sight from the front. Since its shady production is moderate.

I've been growing at a a nearby acreage purchased and owned by another neighbor for 2 years. He bought a tank and delivers the water to the acreage. He isn't into dealing with covenants.

We have fun picking through the few plants I grow here for a precious tomato early in the season. I will try that reflective foil out back, will an auto shade work?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #58
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Fruit production is positively correlated with sun exposure with a caveat that full direct sun in some areas such as higher altitudes, lower latitudes, or deserts (with less moisture in the air) can be very detrimental to tomatoes. I've found that shade late in the afternoon improves production on some varieties because it reduces plant stress. This would not be true in areas with less direct sun such as northern tier states.

For areas with very high solar intensity, please consider using shade cloth with 30% to 45% solar reduction. For areas with less than 5 hours of full sun per day, you can surround plants with reflective aluminum foil which increases solar absorption significantly. Be careful, increasing exposure beyond effective levels can sun crisp your plants.
Very good info indeed. Thanks Fusion_Power. I'll be looking into some shade cloth for our Jul-Aug-Sep high noon crispy sun.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #59
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Fred

thought you might find this of interest .......... chocolate covered Maglia Rosa with chili pepper

http://104.131.182.75/app/uploads/2014/09/DSC_9523.jpg

http://oliveoilandlemons.com/sunshin...erry-tomatoes/
Old March 31, 2016   #60
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'll be dammed, this was my most looked forward to variety and I just realized I didn't start any seeds. I know I got some when I did the 20$ donation thing but I must have misplaced them because after an hour of searching, nothing . Guess I will order some now. This tomato must be amazing because it has been eluding me for years now.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote