Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 1, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Yesterday's "Last of.."s

Yesterday was another day of "last of..."s. I pulled the last of the fall planted carrots, three pounds worth. The soil was nice and loose but a lot of the carrots refused to reach down much so they just got fat. They were growing in that raised bed that was sitting in standing water during the January rains that swamped that part of the garden. My theory is that they just didn't want to get their feet wet!

Left to right:, Napoli, Tendersweet, Bolero:

Then there's what is probably the last of the asparagus. These got steamed and dressed with a bit of butter and balsamic vinegar. Outstanding! They hold well in the refrigerator in this mug of water:

The parsley is definitely bolting so I'll let it go and collect the seeds. I've got a replacement planter growing but it will be a while until I can start cutting on it. This old one will still be good for a while longer. The oregano next to it has done OK being out on the porch most of the winter even on nights around 32. I guess the porch sort of protects it a bit.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019   #2
PlainJane

I didn’t grow carrots this year so enjoy seeing yours!
Old April 2, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! That is sweet to see. I thought I was going to pull off some winter-to-spring carrots in my greenhouse but the aphids got them instead. Oh well...

I got lucky recently with local carrots at the supermarket.

Chantenay is one of my favorite carrots and is the usual one grown around here. They grow fat but short so are good for challenging soils. And they are super sweet.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019   #4
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

What was sweet for me to see yesterday was an asparagus spear starting to poke out of the soil. It is the begining of things here.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019   #5
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Napoli this year, but just planted the seed. How did you like them for taste and tenderness?
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
I'm trying Napoli this year, but just planted the seed. How did you like them for taste and tenderness?
They're pretty good but I'll just have to be real honest here. To me a lot of carrots taste alike, maybe some sweeter that others. And the flavor seems to change year to year depending on what the weather's been like. I can't help you with tenderness either since the only raw carrots I eat are mostly chopped up in salads. But they're all tender when steamed.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have some spring carrots. I just boughtvthe seeds from Lowes. They are supp9sed to be 8 in.long. we shall see.
My Mesculn salad stuff is doing great. Lots of nice color.
Well, i have to buy tomatoes to make salad.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote