Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 14, 2016   #1
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone growing/has grown Mitoyo? What size to pick?

I'm growing Mitoyo this year, and I have fruits growing on all 3 plants. How large do these get and what size is best for harvesting?

And generally, how do you know when eggplants are ready to be picked? I'm growing Mitoyo, Aswad, and Thai Long Green this year.

I've picked my first, which was a Thai Long Green. It was resting on the ground, and I didn't want slugs or other critters to get it, so I picked it at about 8 inches long.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #2
ilex
Tomatovillian™

First clue is they stop growing, color usually fades too. Mitoyo is big, think commercial eggplants size. It will be edible at any size, one of only two I know that are sweet at seed saving stage.

It's an amazing eggplant.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #3
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, ilex! Glad to hear that it's such a nice variety. My plants are huge and beautiful--if it weren't for the flea beetle damage, I would consider planting these as an ornamental edible. Very striking. To know they're also delicious is great.

Just one question--when they stop growing and start fading, that means they're past peak eating quality (well, most varieties), yes? So I should learn when that happens for a given variety and get a sense for when to pick right before that happens?
Old July 19, 2016   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I just had my first Mitoyo today. It weighed in at 486g, so a little over a pound. I was a little worried about it because, as an early-set fruit, it was about to start resting on the ground, so as soon as it started feeling nice and bouncy, I picked it. It looks like others will get larger.

To get a sense of its flavor, I fried it simply in some olive oil with just a little salt for seasoning, nothing else.

... and holy !@&*%$! it was the. best. eggplant. I've ever eaten. Amazing flavor, rich and creamy, incredibly delicate and refined yet not bland at all, just sublime. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that it was picked fresh and cooked and eaten within hours of being picked, but it's also clearly a really wonderful variety. You were right, ilex.

It's moments like these that make gardening so satisfying.
Old July 19, 2016   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I can almost taste it from your description
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #6
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Picked another today. Another one at around the pound mark. Seems like that's the size they like to be. Which is a fine size.

I was tempted to eat it immediately after picking, but I gave it to my brother and sis-in-law instead.