Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 11, 2019   #1
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Default Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew w/ Spinosad

I picked up a couple bottles of this at the end of the season last year at Lowes. This year, flea beetles have been horrible and a few of my young eggplants were struggling.

Spinosad cleared them out and the eggplants took off. I had extra spray left so I sprayed the lower leaves on my tomatoes and it killed the flea beetles and aphids on them.

Gotta' give Captain Jack's an A+

Last edited by jtjmartin; May 11, 2019 at 04:42 PM.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Good to know.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019   #4
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I picked up a couple bottles of this at the end of the season last year at Lowes. This year, flea beetles have been horrible and a few of my young eggplants were struggling.

Spinosad cleared them out and the eggplants took off. I had extra spray left so I sprayed the lower leaves on my tomatoes and it killed the flea beetles and aphids on them.

Gotta' give Captain Jack's an A+
Captain Jack's is good, but know that you kill the beneficials with the evil doers. The flea beetles may be gone, but other evil doers who are now free from their natural controls may cause more damage. Be vigilant.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to give Captain Jack's a try this summer!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had flea beetles on my eggplants and I tried something that I had read about online. I sprinkled used coffee ground on the plants and all around the ground around them. I can't say for sure that it worked because I didn't have any plants without coffee grounds but all 3 of my plants were flea beetle free and grew up healthy.

I am going to do this again this year since i just planted my eggplant seedlings yesterday.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019   #7
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
Captain Jack's is good, but know that you kill the beneficials with the evil doers. The flea beetles may be gone, but other evil doers who are now free from their natural controls may cause more damage. Be vigilant.
I try to spray when the beneficials are not active.

"Summary: Spinosad is a natural insecticide. The active ingredients in spinosad, spinosyn A and spinosyn D, are complex organic compounds made by soil microbes. Spinosad is a broad-spectrum pesticide but is only active if ingested or contacted while in liquid form, so has little residual effect on most beneficial species.
Jack DeAngelis, PhD
OSU Ext. Entomologist (ret.)"
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote