Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2015   #1
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default Potato, Regular, Wispy

First, I apologize for the weediness of my garden. I usually mulch to suppress weeds, but as my garden tractor is down for an undetermined amount of time, that is not going to happen. I'm back to hoeing, but haven't gotten properly to it.

At times I've seen a few people confused between the potato leave (PL), regular leaf (RL), and regular leafed variant "Wispy". I accidently have a serendipitous planting of an example of each that demonstrates the difference. These should only be used as a guide for in each category the individual genetics of a variety can make differences in the 'look'

I the first photo is the row of 3 tomatoes with the Wispy on the left, the RL in center and the PL on the right. (The varieties are Opalka, Submarine Blush, and Indian Striped Potato Leafed)
WispyRLPL.jpg
WispyRLPL.jpg

The next photos are individual closeups of individual leaves:
The PL Indian Stripe Potato Leaf:
PotatoLeaf.jpg
PotatoLeaf.jpg

The RL Submarine Blush:
RegularLeaf.jpg
RegularLeaf.jpg

The Wispy Opalka:
WispyLeaf.jpg
WispyLeaf.jpg
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

great examples and illustration of each
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
First, I apologize for the weediness of my garden. I usually mulch to suppress weeds, but as my garden tractor is down for an undetermined amount of time, that is not going to happen. I'm back to hoeing, but haven't gotten properly to it.

At times I've seen a few people confused between the potato leave (PL), regular leaf (RL), and regular leafed variant "Wispy". I accidently have a serendipitous planting of an example of each that demonstrates the difference. These should only be used as a guide for in each category the individual genetics of a variety can make differences in the 'look'

I the first photo is the row of 3 tomatoes with the Wispy on the left, the RL in center and the PL on the right. (The varieties are Opalka, Submarine Blush, and Indian Striped Potato Leafed)
Attachment 50263
WispyRLPL.jpg

The next photos are individual closeups of individual leaves:
The PL Indian Stripe Potato Leaf:
Attachment 50264
PotatoLeaf.jpg

The RL Submarine Blush:
Attachment 50265
RegularLeaf.jpg

The Wispy Opalka:
Attachment 50266
WispyLeaf.jpg
There's another current thread about leaf types still here and I posted in it, I can find it if that would help, but one of the links I gave was this one:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/discussions...-tomato-leaves

Some of the pictures are missing since Houzz bought Garden Web, but examples, by name, are given for each category.

In that other thread I also referred to the 5 kinds of PL leaves that a German site illustrated, the link is no longer available and the only one I remember was one called mitten shaped.

Unfortunately due to software problems I can't view pictures from attachments, only if complete pictures are shown.

Just noting that the correct name is Indian Stripe, not Striped, which was a typo at Sandhill Preservation.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Indian_Stripe

Carolyn