Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 3, 2007   #1
decius
Tomatovillian™

Default I couldn't wait; sub-dwarf seeds started

The pictures of Michael's greenhouse tomatoes were too much for me, so yesterday I started seeds for some sub-dwarfs (as I call them): Florida Petite, Yellow Canary and Red Robin. Not the best tasting tomatoes, certainly, but they will stay small enough to stay under the lights as long as necessary. Are there any good tasting tomatoes of this size? Tiny Tim is terrible.

It is also an experiment to help determine when I should start my tomato seeds: in years past I started tomatoes at the end of February here in zone 7b North Carolina, but I think that may be a little late now. The National ArborDay Federation zone map puts me in zone 8, and that accords with recent experience. I remember reading Craig (who lives in my area) saying this year he was starting seeds early in February.

Elizabeth
decius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Elizabeth-I dont really know any sub-dwarves that are good tasting-but they are better than cardboard tomatoes from the store. Have fun!

p.s. I am sending you seed for mini red ch, mano rugose and polish dwarf (If I have seed for pd) this weekend.
Old February 3, 2007   #3
decius
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Michael - I'll put Polish Dwarf in the rotation too.

I am planning to grow Orange Pixie and Pearly Pink Orange in 3 gal pots; have you ever grown in pots/bags that small? I did OP in a 3gal before, but I started it late in the season and I'm not sure it got as large as it could have - don't know if that was because of the pot size or temperatures.

Elizabeth
decius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Elizabeth-both of those should do fine in a 3 gallon. If you can find some tomato tone, you might consider putting some in the container. You should be able to find it easy where you live-for me, its difficult. Its an Espoma product, and I use it with all my tomatoes and peppers and eggplant and cucumbers.
Old February 3, 2007   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi

I know exactly how you feel. I started Latah Jan. 13th. Two seedlings (of 3 came up) and are starting to show their first true leaves. I am planning on putting them out in my SQ FT garden covered with gallon milk jugs around mid March. Sacto weather is so unpredictable; hopefully the plants will do okay.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote