Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2013   #1
Garden/Arborist
Tomatovillian™

Default Velvet Red Tomato (Cherry type)

Velvet Red is a cherry type but a few of our plants(only have eight) have a velvet covering on the fruit. Looks like peach fuzz. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Some have fruit the size of a quarter and the velvet covered fruit is about the size of a nickel. Fuzzy fruit is not in the fruit description or is it shown in the photo at SSE. The small fuzzy fruit seem to taste better and we will be comparing throughout the summer as harvest has just begun.
Garden/Arborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden/Arborist View Post
Velvet Red is a cherry type but a few of our plants(only have eight) have a velvet covering on the fruit. Looks like peach fuzz. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Some have fruit the size of a quarter and the velvet covered fruit is about the size of a nickel. Fuzzy fruit is not in the fruit description or is it shown in the photo at SSE. The small fuzzy fruit seem to taste better and we will be comparing throughout the summer as harvest has just begun.
I know Velvet Red very well, as you can see from the following link;

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Velvet_Red

I was perhaps the first to grow it, from Joe Bratka, and I never ever saw any fuzz on the fruits, just beautiful angora foliage with finely dissected leaves that sparkled in the sun.

So to be grown as a novelty variety since one doesn't grow this for the taste of the fruits.

And yes, Joe did change the name of it and yes, Velvet Red and Super Angora Sweet are the same variety.

The only varieties that I've grown that don't really have fuzz on the fruits, rather the fruits are more matte-like, are the varieties that have some kind of fruit in the name, such as Nectarine, Garden Peach, and the like.

Carolyn, who knew Joe very well at one time.
Old July 4, 2013   #3
strax
Tomatovillian™

angora orange has fuzzy fruit, but the fuzz goes away before the fruit ripens. my velvet red fruit is fuzzy now that they are small and green, but i assumed the fuzz would disappear the same way. are your fruits staying fuzzy when ripe?

strax
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #4
Garden/Arborist
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Carolyn. BTW, the photos don't show for me at the site you linked.

Strax,
Yes, the fruits on one plant are staying fuzzy. It's a real light fuzz that looks like almost like mold. I'll get some photos.
Garden/Arborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden/Arborist View Post
Thanks for the info Carolyn. BTW, the photos don't show for me at the site you linked.

Strax,
Yes, the fruits on one plant are staying fuzzy. It's a real light fuzz that looks like almost like mold. I'll get some photos.
DSL acting up again, I'll try to type fast.

I just opened the link to Velvet Red Iposted above and the pictures show just fine, for me.

Angora Orange is a version of Angora Red that appeared at Adam Gleckler's place and he sent it out as a freebie and yes, I've grown that one as well, also Angora Red. There are other Angora ones I've also grown.Fuzzy Bomb is one Ive grown and no fuzz on the fruits either.

I think it's possible that some think that b'c the foliage is fuzzy angora the fruits should be as well, just a possibiity. But how can I doubt what you folks are reporting?

I don't inspect small greenies , just when the fruits are coloring up to ripeness.

So, no fuzz seen by me for Velvet Red, Angora Orange, Angora Red,Fuzzy Bomb on the fruits.

Perhaps I live in a fuzz free zone.

Carolyn
Old July 4, 2013   #6
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Velvet Red and the fruits are lightly fuzzy but the fuzz wipes right off when you handle them.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote