Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2013   #1
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default Help please

My neighbor just sprayed Weed B Gone Max .10% Quinclorac, .22% MCPP-p, .12% 2,4-D, .05% Dicamba with the wind blowing directly at my tomatoes 8 feet away.

Is there anything I can do to limit the contamination or effects?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #2
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Drench with water and lots of it

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

have a talk with your neighbor.....
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #4
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

do both

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #5
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

give the nabor some present with %

Old June 30, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Took all your advises. Sprinkler is running. Gave them some peppers broccoli and cilantro. Kept it friendly. As long as my tomatoes survive I even may have a new customer.

Having went inside and read the label, she even came back out and said she would shower her young child who was playing in the grass as she sprayed. And herself too.

Hopefully mission accomplished.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; June 30, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old June 30, 2013   #7
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Hope, they understood, and learned the basics of life...

Old June 30, 2013   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

yes, diluting and rinsing off the plants with copious water will help. good for you for staying calm and cool with the dimwitted neighbor. holy moly.
I really hope the damage is minimal to your garden
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
yes, diluting and rinsing off the plants with copious water will help. good for you for staying calm and cool with the dimwitted neighbor. holy moly.
I really hope the damage is minimal to your garden
Karen
Calm cool? No way. I freaked. But I came inside to calm down. Then didn't go back out until I was sure I could hide my true feelings. Having a plan of action from you guys helped a lot. Even if it doesn't work, just having a way to deal with it calmed my nerves a lot.

Thanks.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 1, 2013   #10
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Don't be shocked if your tomato plants start to look like the forest that the evil witch lives in. I sprayed mine years ago from right at 70 yards in about a 10 MPH wind.
It was scary with all the twists and curls and the bumps all over the stems, but i let them grow out just to see what would happen. 75% or so survived and produced tomatoes. I tasted a couple just for my own information and couldn't tell much difference. I planted new ones for the wife and kids and threw the 2-4,D ones away later.

Keep watering them to the point of saturation and then water them again. If i remember right, the ones closest to the hydrant and that i watered the most seemed to have less damage. I think you should get some large suckers and be ready to replant just in case. I still use 15-20 gal. of 2-4,D a year, but never anywhere near my garden.
A plant pathologist once told me that comparing 2-4,D exposure to Roundup exposure was the equivalent of smoking 8 cigarettes instead of 1.

Good luck and i said a short prayer for you.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Ken,
How long before I know?

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 1, 2013   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Do you think spraying with some soapy water would help? I agree with copious amounts of water, but maybe soapy water will help to wash away the spray, too. Good luck, my heart goes out to you. I am shaking my head that the person would be so ignorant as to not even read the label AND let her child PLAY in the yard as she was spraying it. duh!
Old July 1, 2013   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post

Having went inside and read the label, she even came back out and said she would shower her young child who was playing in the grass as she sprayed. And herself too.

Hopefully mission accomplished.
People wow.

Glad you were able to address the situation!
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #14
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I can't imagine using poisons indoors or out with kids around. Because I have two cats and two rabbits I actually close the windows when leaf blowers are being used and worse, while somebody has pest control guys spraying around their houses.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #15
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Ken,
How long before I know?
I was using the maximum rated amount in very hot weather so i could begin to see damage by the next afternoon. The leaves started to curl and the young suckers and new growth started twisting.
Within three or four days, they looked like something from outer space. I had to call our UK Experimental Farm to confirm that 2.4,D was responsible. In my experience, 2.4,D is more effective in extremely hot and humid conditions.
I usually wait until the temp. gets in the high 90's to spray. This allows me to use less chemical, which is a good thing both economically and environmentally.

You may be in the clear if you haven't seen ANY signs of damage yet. I hope so. I enjoy reading your posts. Sometimes i think you are T'ville's Don Quixote. Keep it up because what you are attempting to do is more than a full time job and someone has to do it.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote