Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2014   #61
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm Not Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namwah View Post
Thank you for this board-I'm not crazy and you make feel normal. I can relate to so many of the comments.
There's nothing like being in the asylum so you can point to all of the people around you and say "They all act just like me so I must be normal!". I'm only growing 32 plants for a family of two, so I'm REALLY normal.
daninpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #62
peppero
Tomatovillian™

There are worse things you could have, so just sit back and find comfort that you are not alone.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #63
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I asked 'The Boss' if I have OCTD! She just said 'Sweetie.....of course you do!!' lol

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #64
hdrider
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
There are worse things you could have, so just sit back and find comfort that you are not alone.
I both increased and cut back this year. I have not really had a garden the past two years so having one this year is in increase. Usually I have 3 different areas planted with various pots added into the mix, this year I only have 1 area (20 tomatoes 44 peppers along with other things) and no pots so that is my cutting back. All of this for a household of 1....

Tracy
hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #65
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I still see lots of grass that could be converted to more garden space....!
But then I'd lose the source of my mulch!
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #66
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ar, arg, argh, the delicate mulch/tomato balance. (Beautiful gardens btw).

I only have 40 tomatoes this year in a greenhouse that adequately fits 24. Plus a half dozen I planted outdoors early in spite of the weather (yep, still living, in a former wood stacker - who needs wood), and a dozen not yet planted.... It's time to prune and cull and top some of the giant plants in the greenhouse, which I started on yesterday....
and the only thing that stopped me from potting up those cuttings to root 'extra' plants !!! was the scarcity of potting soil.
Oh, yeah, and still moping about the ones I meant to but didn't get to plant... if we hadn't had such a bad spring, well.....
I have 35 peppers too, mostly in little sandpails, living inside the house and wanting to make the big move outdoors.... for as long as 'summer' lasts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #67
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
........ I just thought others suffered from a tomato deficiency................

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
I asked 'The Boss' if I have OCTD! She just said 'Sweetie.....of course you do!!' lol

Greg

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; July 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #68
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I live on a lot thats 31'x60' so tiny. It includes a house with an apartment on the side and a driveway. This past weekend I took 10 plants to my sister's place to make room for the others as they grow. That leaves me with only (gasp!) 74 plants!

I guess I qualify, lol!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #69
spuriousmonkey
Tomatovillian™

First year I might have had 20 plants. Then last year it was 50: 20 at home, and the rest on the allotment.

Now it is around 100. The number of varieties quadrupled compared to last year.

I already have ordered 10 new varieties for next year. And it isn't even winter yet!

When will the madness end?

That said, 50 plants was quite a reasonable amount. But 100 might be a tad bit too much for me. I had too many indeterminates this year. I planted too many thinking they won't all germinate. And for some reason the bush varieties had poorer germination rates. And those I wanted for my allotment.

Mind you I did put some of the seedlings to the compost heap. It wasn't easy though.

Well, it was all rather hectic logistically in the past 2 months, mainly because of a cold spell in the month of June. But now most plants have gone to their final place.

Maybe I could do 150 plants next year.
spuriousmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #70
zero244
Tomatovillian™

I was diagnosed with OCTD a couple of years ago..........I was told their is no cure once infected.
zero244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #71
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

There might be hope for me.

The other night my husband and I were talking about plans for the yard--deck, patio or both--and how we would need to decide what and where in order to reconfigure the irrigation system. He asked me if I wanted to plan for expanding my garden. I thought about it for a few moments and realized no, I don't want to. Not sure who was more surprised by my answer--him or me!

I just realized that I'm thoroughly enjoying my current garden, but if it got bigger and/or my employment situation ever had to change, it would require more time than I would have to give. Then the garden would go from enjoyment to obligation, which is what I never want to happen.

Now that doesn't mean that I will stop trying to cram in more tomatoes than I should in the space I have...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #72
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
There might be hope for me.

The other night my husband and I were talking about plans for the yard--deck, patio or both--and how we would need to decide what and where in order to reconfigure the irrigation system. He asked me if I wanted to plan for expanding my garden. I thought about it for a few moments and realized no, I don't want to. Not sure who was more surprised by my answer--him or me!

I just realized that I'm thoroughly enjoying my current garden, but if it got bigger and/or my employment situation ever had to change, it would require more time than I would have to give. Then the garden would go from enjoyment to obligation, which is what I never want to happen.

Now that doesn't mean that I will stop trying to cram in more tomatoes than I should in the space I have...

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #73
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

I stopped at 76 plants...two sets of seedlings so I could try a second planting for this season. I am hoping to go through August with fruit. Older plants and younger plants.

marc...I wish I could give them away...few takers...almost like I was asking for a kidney...so, I found some ground and planted the rest...that's how I got to 76.
Old March 18, 2019   #74
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamserg View Post
if I don't have at least 3 times more seedlings than I can actually plant I get hit hard with anxiety attacks

My feelings, exactly!

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2019   #75
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I'm with you. I need to graft due to bacterial wilt. I have way too many grafts to plant but worry about throwing away 3 grafts that didn't take! I could lose 30 and still have too many to plant!

OCTD!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote