Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 14, 2019   #1
HBKitmitto
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden Orientation

I'm hoping to get some advice on how I lay out my garden and my garden rows this year. I've got a 40' x 40' garden that is sloped running south on the high end and north on the low end. In the past I've always run my rows going east to west but I'm wondering this year, is that best? If I run my tomato rows north to south, will that work better for sunlight? Does it even really matter? I may be completely over thinking this.
HBKitmitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Keep it running east to west because I dont think it matters that much.
Depending on slope grade.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #3
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Run your rows to control erosion first. Use the available rainfall to your advantage. claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I plant double rows in a row (a row being a terraced row), with plants having about 2 1/2 foot spacing in both directions. A plant in one row is also about 2 1/2 feet from the nearest plant in the next terraced row over, with slipping, sliding, rarely falling (my precious plants!) walking paths (after a rain) between the rows. By August it is a near impenetrable jungle. So, spacing is more of a key than row orientation.

One oar, rowing in circles.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Lay of the land dictates E-W in my garden, but the food bank garden maintained my master gardeners changed the orientation of their crops N-S . Theoretically sunlight is evenly distributed N-S.

For peppers I zig-zag stagger in rows of three, but a matrix of four might work too. I plant two tomato plants per "row" , with the same spacing as above. My land is sloped. Interested to hear about terracing.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My land is also sloped, north/high to south/low. My rows are about 4 1/2 feet wide, the paths too narrow. Each row is about 1 brick in thickness above the height of the previous row, going south to north. I find bricks in many places in this city, as there once was a manufacturing plant for them.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #7
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget about wind. If my garden rows ran N-S, my plants would be continually pelted and stressed. The t-post trellising can take it, but my plants can't.
MI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I think the logical way to maximize sun would be W-E (and of course the plants on each row should be staggered in position (I hope that's the right word)).
When it's sloped however, things are more complicated, as saltmarsh said, doing rows downhill will make for poor water retention and also you lose soil and nutrients at heavy rains.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019   #9
HBKitmitto
Tomatovillian™

Those are all very helpful points. Interesting about the wind being a factor as well. I have never taken note about the wind directions but being out in the midwest, we get some crazy winds. I think I am safe continuing to run my rows the way I have been in the past.

Thank you all for the insights!
HBKitmitto is offline   Reply With Quote