Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 5, 2019   #1
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Default Bad.kelpie 2019 garden

I planted some tomatoes today, I planted my dwarfs and micro dwarfs a week ago. They haven't come up yet. I planted them in coco fiber, hope nothing is wrong with it or anything, I've never used it for seed starting. New Big Dwarf, Tennessee Suited, Dwarf Mr Snow, Hahms Gelbe, and Lille Lise.

Today I planted:

Fuego Verde
Fuego Rosa
Green Bee f1
Pineapple
Boxcar Willie
Dragon's Eye
Japanese Black Trifele
Anna's Multiflora
Emmy
Jaune Flamme
GGWT
Cherokee Purple
KARMA Peach
KARMA Purple Multiflora
Garnet
Rebel Alliance
Indigo Cherry Drops
Zapotec
Sgt Peppers
Michael Pollan
Madera f1
Bellota f1
Orange Jazz
Napa Chardonnay
Brad's Atomic Grape
Curtis Cheek
Margaret Curtain
Aladdin's Lamp
Porter
Rio Grande
Berkeley Tie Dye
Reverend Michael Keyes

I wanted to go with mostly smaller tomatoes this year, but I threw in a few big ones.

This year is a little up in the air, so I don't know how many of these will be planted, but I'm gonna try and get them all in. I'm just not sure where I'll be come planting time. I found a house I want to buy, but the garden space is kinda small, so we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190304_203542.jpg (413.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 20190304_203923.jpg (301.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 20190304_174703.jpg (410.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 20190304_174457.jpg (391.5 KB, 155 views)
bad.kelpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #2
PlainJane

You have a helper, I see! Good luck with all those wonderful selections.
- Joyce
Old March 5, 2019   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You look so organized! Isn't this a fun time of year?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #4
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

That's Harley, he wasn't really helping very much, he was just trying to eat the dirt. We do this every year, it's tradition . This is him and his brother, Rocko. Rocko doesn't care about planting tomatoes. He does like eating them though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180827_214346.jpg (323.0 KB, 131 views)
Old March 6, 2019   #5
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

First up, Dwarf Mr. Snow! New Big Dwarf and Tennessee Suited are starting to poke up out of the dirt. Nothing from the micro dwarfs yet, but maybe they take longer. Nothing from the peppers either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190306_131219.jpg (390.6 KB, 111 views)
Old March 13, 2019   #6
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Seeds are coming up all over, not all of them yet, but a good start. Green Bee was first, followed closely by fuego verde and fuego rosa, then by a bunch of others.

Registered for the community garden yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out just how many tomato plants I can stuff in a 4 x 12 bed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190313_124312.jpg (383.3 KB, 88 views)
Old March 13, 2019   #7
PlainJane

Lol, I’m always on the lookout for extra tomato growing space.
A fantastic list ... I got many of the same varieties via Marsha’s giveaway (and really appreciate it!)
Old April 18, 2019   #8
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I planted in these fabric pots to save space. It's been working pretty well. They're wedged in there so none can fall over and break. The pots are supposed to be biodegradable and you're supposed to plant directly in them, but many people say they're not, so I'll just take them out to plant. It's been a convenient way to keep them as seedlings though.

I didn't use grow lights this year, just started them in a sunny window and brought them outside any time it was warm enough (over 50 degrees). I have these ones in another clear bin, a taller one with a lid, so I can keep them safe from cold and wind. But I have 2 smaller tubs of "extras that I couldn't throw away", that just sit on a table outside unprotected from the elements and they look the same.

Turns out, I didn't get the house with barely any garden space, but another with tons of space. Closing date is May 23, so I'll still be able to plant most of these. A little later than usual, but it's ok. 10 will go in my community garden plot, a bunch at my parent's house, and the rest will be planted later at my new house. If any are left I can give them to the senior center thrift store and they'll sell them for $1 each or something.

Edit to add: The first picture of April 2nd, second picture is April 18 (today), some are basil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190402_124031.jpg (391.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20190418_164313.jpg (455.3 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by bad.kelpie; April 18, 2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old April 18, 2019   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

They look great. Any of mine have difficulty germinating?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019   #10
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Nope, not at all. Funny story though. Last year I lost my seedlings for Rebel Alliance, so I planted the last of the seeds right in my garden. They grew, but by the time they had flowers, it was hot so they kept dropping. I didn't have tomatoes until later, too late. At the end of the season, I plucked off the biggest one and put it on my counter. A really long time later, I think like 6 weeks or more, it turned color. I got out the seeds and dried them. Then I tested them and they actually sprouted. The tomato tasted terrible though . So when I planted seeds this year, just for good measure, I put about 8 seeds in 2 cells and every one of them germinated. I was pretty surprised seeing as it was so green when picked.