Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 3, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to start hardening off

It's a mild 63 out there today and cloudy with just a hint of breeze. It's perfect for starting the hardening off process for the first round of brassicas so out they go. Next to them is the window box of parsley that has been doing well for a year now but it's getting a bit worn out. In fact, it was seeded exactly one year ago today. Time to start another as this batch will be going to seed by summer.

The lemon balm is coming back up around the compost bins. I don't think it really ever takes a time out. In about a month it will be everywhere again.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2019   #2
PlainJane

Great! I can’t wait until I can do the same with my tomatoes and peppers. Couple more weeks.
Old February 5, 2019   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This morning the Sweet Purple Asparagus seedlings (one of this year's garden "toys") went outside along with the first pack of scallions.

Highs will be around mid 70's for the next three days before cooler weather comes back in. More importantly, the lows will be in the 50's so it's time for all of the sets to stay out 24 hours for three days.

Meanwhile the other plants are just going nuts out in the sun! Transplant comes in five days.

Today I will be seeding herbs and lettuce in packs. After that, the next sowing will be two beds of Wando peas on the 15th. Peppers and eggplant on March 5 and tomatoes on April 6.
Old February 5, 2019   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I won't be starting my tomatoes until Feb 17th, but this warm weather we are having lets me clean up in the garden.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2019   #5
PlainJane

Yesterday was gorgeous weather so the sprouted tomato and pepper seedlings spent a few hours outside. Maybe it was my imagination, but they looked noticeably bigger when I put them back on the grow table.
Old February 6, 2019   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Yesterday was gorgeous weather so the sprouted tomato and pepper seedlings spent a few hours outside. Maybe it was my imagination, but they looked noticeably bigger when I put them back on the grow table.
It's NOT your imagination! They go absolutely nuts when they sit outside.

I got another bed forked up yesterday so the brassica areas are ready to go. Today I will do one of the two pea beds. One bed is about all my knee wants to handle for now.

It was a record 81 out there yesterday and will be almost there today and tomorrow before cooling off for a few days. That's got me worried about soil temps and nematodes waking up. I just checked the soil temp and it's about 58. I think I'll dump a bunch of chopped leaves on the brassica beds today to keep the soil cool. Should have done that yesterday morning or the day before.
Old February 6, 2019   #7
PlainJane

I was wondering about nematode activity also ... started mixing in the shrimp and crab meal for plants going into native soil.