Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old May 10, 2007   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Tomatoes Finally

The plants are getting bigger now and I am finally getting some tomatoes. I think the shade is just getting to be too much in my back yard. I may have to find some way to move my operations to the country where I can have as much sun as I want. It's only about 25 miles away but trying to be there enough to maintain a garden would be tough and expensive in gas. I wish I had some kind of a solar meter that would record how many hours of sunlight a plant was acually getting. Here's some pics I took yesterday.

The shade in the foreground is from my neighbors tree to the west. This was about 5:30 PM.

Here is a couple of my Brandywines.

Getting tomatoes on just about everything except Arkansas Traveler and Merced. I expect them to come online any day now. I sure wish I could retire and move from the city and do this full time. Or I wish that I could atleast get my nieghbors to remove there trees that are doing nothing but shading MY yard. Oh well, wish in one hand.......
Old May 10, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks Great keep up the good work.

Worth
Old May 12, 2007   #3
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

Snappybob,

Is that a ground level hot wire fence that I see in the picture? Don't the critters just jump over it?
Old May 14, 2007   #4
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

The hot wire is about 8 - 10 inches off the ground. It keeps my dogs out. Once they get bit they don't want to get too close. If they get really excited by something on the other side of the chain link fence they will sometimes forget and jump over it but they really don't like being close to it. I have other beds that are enclosed with the wire but not even hooked up. They won't get close to those eighter. I have tried everything to keep them out of the gardens but that was by far them easiest, simplest and most effective. I should have done that first.