Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old May 26, 2012   #16
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Here in Homestead Fl.I start seeds late Aug.Then 1 1/2 month later another stagger start and finish up sometimes in late April(two crops).I read the other day some growers in the Tampa and Homosassa area just picking thier fruit now.I could imagine N Florida going into late May June.I do have Everglade Cherrys that grow wild around here but too small .They do grow all year.Last year we had some cold stretches(late 2010-2011)Even here we had some 30-35 nights.So if you want to designate the Fl growing season it would be end of one year and beginning of another.Where up north it would be 2010, 2011,2012,season.Confusing for some and drives me crazy when all the seed catalogs come out for us out of season.Now I get jealous reading about all the maters up north from the posts but then we get our revenge when the notherners are all freezing and our crops are coming in.Could probly grow produce now but the temps are running past 85 and humidity for me is around 70-80 on average plus two days ago it rained 8 inches in one day.so by design I will not go past March -April.So now we get to enjoy mangos,lychees,papayas bananas,strawberrys,avacados and some tropicals I cannot even spell or pronounce.
Old May 27, 2012   #17
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

thanks so much Kurt.

I would love to come, but plantation is way too far for this old girl to travel. So I'll just be an online visitor to see all the wonderful maters.
Old May 27, 2012   #18
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

Kurt,

Labor-intensive and crazy as it is, I'm still trying to coax a few more tomatoes out before I quit for the summer. I still have Berkley Tie-Dye Pink, Sweet 100, KBX and Pineapple plants going strong. I did a pretty late planting in April, but it looks like I'll have a kazillion (yes, that is an actual greenie count) cherry tomatoes and a few beefsteaks before the humidity and heat shut the plants down. The blossom drop is increasing by the day, but so far only a little bacterial speck.

Ginger,

Aiming for a plant swap in November, is there any way to find out what varieties might be in demand? I need something to focus my gardening obsession on once the summer garden downtime hits, and planning out my seeding schedule usually satisfies my inner crazy for a few weeks.
Old May 27, 2012   #19
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

so what suggestions would yall have for sources to purchase seeds from. I would like to try about 15-20 varieties that would grow well here and I have no seed stock at all, so starting from scratch and kinda glad I have a little time to study and plan.

Jan
Old May 28, 2012   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4jess View Post
Kurt,

Labor-intensive and crazy as it is, I'm still trying to coax a few more tomatoes out before I quit for the summer. I still have Berkley Tie-Dye Pink, Sweet 100, KBX and Pineapple plants going strong. I did a pretty late planting in April, but it looks like I'll have a kazillion (yes, that is an actual greenie count) cherry tomatoes and a few beefsteaks before the humidity and heat shut the plants down. The blossom drop is increasing by the day, but so far only a little bacterial speck.

Ginger,

Aiming for a plant swap in November, is there any way to find out what varieties might be in demand? I need something to focus my gardening obsession on once the summer garden downtime hits, and planning out my seeding schedule usually satisfies my inner crazy for a few weeks.

No not really, nobody is really concentrating on any given varieties , just grow it if you want to, and bring it along.
Most of these plant swaps have the participants post what they have in the thread here, and people tell them what they like from that person's list. We then bring the requested plants, and any others we think may be interesting or tasty.
I will be supplying some snacks and beverages too, and others can bring stuff to eat even if no plants, and still take some home.
I am looking forward to swapping gardening tips as much as plants. Also looking forward to meeting people in my region that share my obsess OOPS I mean hobby
Old May 28, 2012   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowyck View Post
so what suggestions would yall have for sources to purchase seeds from. I would like to try about 15-20 varieties that would grow well here and I have no seed stock at all, so starting from scratch and kinda glad I have a little time to study and plan.

Jan
Jan, Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us for the plant swap, because I know it would be fun. There's a wonderful website , Tatiana's Tomatobase that lists thousands of tomatoes, with descriptions, and where to buy them, several different sources for a given tomato type usually, and it's set up to link to the seller.
There is also a forum here on the main page that lists well thought of and ethical seed sellers, many of them. I have had personal experience with Sandhill Preservetion, Tomatogrowers Supply, and Sample Seed Shop, all are simply great, but there are very many others. That forum also suggests some to stay away from, such as Burpee, and the reasons why.
Lastly, there is a forum for wanted seeds where you can request if anyone has your wanted variety, and just send them a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and they will help you out.
Are you sure you cant make the 2 hour drive to plantation? Such a shame to miss it
Old May 28, 2012   #22
kurt
Tomatovillian™

There is a good source for seeds here on Tville in the seeds wanted and for trade section.All you have to do is maybe pm the person.I know the cherrys and blacks do good for me here down south.My selections are determined by my wife.Remember "Man has last word,Yes Dear"
Old May 29, 2012   #23
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I though plantation was down by fort lauderdale? If it is north then it might be possible.

Thanks for all the tips of places to look for seeds.

Kurt, you are too funny, but I'm sure your DW knows a gem of a hubby she has in you.

Jan
Old May 29, 2012   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Plantation is about 12 miles west of Ft. Laud.
Old May 29, 2012   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

OK everyone, we are an official gathering. Nov. 3 from 2-6 PM for the plant swap, and a later date in March for a tasting get together.
PM me for my address please.
Old May 31, 2012   #26
kurt
Tomatovillian™

The admins have recognized the Fla Tag group,ginger2778 is the go to person and has a Nov 3 2012.FYI
Old June 9, 2012   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Help with our name

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Some ideas:
  • Gator-Mater
  • Florida State Tomato Tasting
  • Florida Area Tomato Enthusiasts (FATE)
  • Tomato Club of Florida
  • Gulf Area Tomato Enthusiasts (GATE)
Thanks so much for all the great suggestions Morgan. I meant to get back to you sooner but just now remembered. It took alot of thought and effort on your part, and I have to admit these were much better than our original name, and inspired us to do better, which I hope you will agree that we have.
Again, many thanks.
-Marsha
Old June 9, 2012   #28
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Logo and plant list

We are working on a logo for our group, look for it soon as my new avatar.(Not yet though!)
I am also getting my spreadsheet finished of all the seed varieties I have, and then people can make requests as to which plants they might like to have from my list.

I would like to encourage the others to do the same. This is getting good
-Marsha
Old June 9, 2012   #29
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Glad I could contribute in some small way. I've been working on a packing list for all the things we tend to need/use during a tomato tasting. When I get it sorted, I can send a copy to you.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old June 9, 2012   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Glad I could contribute in some small way. I've been working on a packing list for all the things we tend to need/use during a tomato tasting. When I get it sorted, I can send a copy to you.
I would so very much appreciate that. Thank you, and for your thoughtful help also.
-Marsha