Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2017   #16
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown the Filipino tomato called Kamatis Tagalog? I will be trying it next year. Supposedly it continues to set toms in 105' heat. Rather nice looking tomato as well and hopefully tasty.
I have some seeds from a generic seed pack that says "Beefsteak", and grew them this year. They are quite obviously not beefsteak but some sort of small round reds with nice flavor, on small bushy plants. I would have dismissed them BUT they are my only tom this year that has continued to set in high triple digits. Wish I knew what it actually is.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Save some seed and try it again next year and see if it is the same.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #18
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I plan to do that. I think it's probably some sort of hybrid, and I still have seeds from the original packet. So I could grow both next year and see what I get.
Old August 7, 2017   #19
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

So I have been promised seeds for Kamatis Tagalog! Probably won't get them until January. The gal who will be sharing them with me has grown this variety for some time and wow her photos are amazing and says it's her favorite variety. Almost can't wait.
Old August 14, 2017   #20
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

I haven't read through each post in this thread, but had to jump in and throw Dark Queen in the mix for great during heat.

I'm in central TX and we've been having consistent 100+ days with lows of around 77 at early morning only to reheat the next morning.

I've got several other varieties going including prudens purple, Indian stripe PL, summer of love, and a few other random pinks that are just getting going.

But the super star is the Dark Queen. It is the healthiest plant and had been setting fruit in that blazing heat which is incredibly impressive. Everything else is dropping lots of blossoms despite consistent moisture levels. It is a variety from Wild Boar Farms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #21
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Best 2 are Boondocks and Crnkovic Yugoslav - large and tasty and plentiful...
then Pruden's Purple.
No Estler's Mortgage Lifter ripe yet and only one Limbaugh Potato.
Red Barn is yielding well, but is shaped like a paste tomato so I doubt it is truly Red Barn.
Old August 15, 2017   #22
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Crnkovic Yugoslavian with good sets on nearly all trusses, even while looking beat and tattered. Also, the Sungold has remained hugely productive thru all extremes and the foliage still looks marvelous when all else has visibly suffered.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #23
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

pic1) Crnkovic Yugoslav, 2-stem, 10gal poly bag, peat40/coco30/perlite30, chemgro 4-18-38

pic2) Sungold, no pruning to speak of, same growing conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36-2017CY.jpg (148.8 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 37-2017Sungold.jpg (179.4 KB, 151 views)
Old August 15, 2017   #24
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sungold last year and like Juliet (which I happen to like) it grew all summer even in very high temps. BUT as summer went on, and especially in the 105'+ temps of July and August, the taste of the fruit went from unique and superb to tasting like dirty socks. Also the skins became so tough that I simply stopped picking them. I did not grow them this year.
Old August 16, 2017   #25
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

It was a very hot summer here, extended upper 90 degree temps with no rain. I wouldn't say Creole was among my best tomatoes this year, far from it. However, I only grew one plant, and it was in a container. Perhaps that particular plant or soil was to blame. A small trial may be worth it in your area, but I wouldn't go all out without modest testing first.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
I wanted to plant 50+ Big Beef and Indian Stripe but just never did. I hear that Creole is a good hot weather plant, and so are Celebrity, Gulf States, Arkansas Traveler, and some others. Of the 500+ tomatoes I planted, I don't think over 5 didn't make it. I had a good survival rate. They are still living, but not producing. In fact, the sizes got smaller and then they started rotting on the vine. They would just get soft and squishy and sag or fall off. I tried watering more, etc. but nothing worked. Once it started, they all did that.

I could be selling a lot of tomatoes right now if I just had them. I want to identify several hot weather varieties that I can try next year. I'm looking for something 6 ounces and larger, preferably 8-12 ounces, with good flavor, and a variety that keeps right on producing in hot weather....days of temps of 90 and above, and some getting near 100 degrees. It is brutally hot out there his summer.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; August 16, 2017 at 06:15 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #26
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I was out this morning and late this evening for a little while pruning and spraying my plants. While I was pruning I noticed surprisingly that Crnkovic Yugoslav which was set out in mid June is setting a good amount of fruit which was a surprise to me. Pruden's Purple, Spudakee, Gary O' Sena, ISPL are starting to produce really good in the heat but the fruits are not too large. I am also getting some bigger tomatoes from Limbaugh's Legacy, 1884, Neves Azorean Red, Kentucky Wonder and Red Barn. I am never surprised at ISPL, Spudakee and Pruden's Purple setting good in the heat but I am surprised when some of the others do well. This is the first year I set out a Crnkovic Yugoslav in mid summer. I try to try out at least two or three varieties that I haven't grown this time of the year hoping to find another to add to my late planting list. It isn't hard to find varieties that will do well once the cooler nights of fall get here but finding ones that will do well in the late summer heat as well as fall are much more difficult to find.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #27
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
I went through a much needed lesson about growing tomatoes in Hawaii. Yes, you have a continous growing season. But it has many downfalls. Mostly humidity is the culprit. I found Cherokee Purple and Indian Stripe best for hot and humid. However, the pollen gets stuck and few tomatoes actually grow. I decided to ask for real help. I found the University of Hawaii @ Manoa to have my answers. Their horticulture program has done extensive research with tomatoes and other veggies. They have a seed program of all non-GMO and hybrids. What I learned was tomatoes grow best in the enviorment they are bred from. Duh...right. That takes alot of time and patience, to find that match. I perfer science over guessing. Along with my hydro setup, my plants are thriving. Looking forward to a October harvest. Aloha.
P.S. Cornell University is another great choice!!!
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #28
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Aloha,
However, the pollen gets stuck and few tomatoes actually grow.
Tom, do you still have the same issue of sticky pollen?
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #29
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

I got 3 small tomatoes from that plant. So I sent it to the landfill. But the good news is University of Hawaii has a seed program. It turns out heirlooms do not Hawaii weather. So now I'm trying new plants from U.H Manoa.I am hoping for the best from N-63. I am really jealous of my sisters giant tomatoes from Upstate N.Y.but I ain't leaving here.
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #30
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

A good blog from a grower in Kihei with tips on growing heirlooms in Hawaii. Also, nearly every article I've read mentions fruit flies as a problem and cherry tomatoes are the least effected.

http://akitchengardeninkiheimaui.blo...-in-kihei.html