Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 7, 2007   #16
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

A lot of my bush beans have grown a bit viney, too. Jumbo and Supernano Marconi are three to four feet tall if I stretch out the runners.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #17
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I don't remember any Roma IIs having runners. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me you've got them planted to close. You need at least 2 feet between double rows and one foot between plants. Pick them before they reach maturity and you should get a long harvest. Don't know what could have caused the leaf problem. You should also hill the rows as they like soil mounded up around the stems and you can't hill beans unless you've got at least 2 feet between rows.
Old May 7, 2007   #18
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Earl, I have got different opinions on whether they might have runners or not, but most felt that they appeared to be a pole bean rather than a bush, a mistake of some kind. Others felt that the roma II were more prone to have runners than other bush varieties. I, having no experience with bush beans, just didnt know what I might be dealing with. And the roma II plants had no leaf distortions or problems whatsoever, and that is through 2 plantings that I pulled possibly prematurely. They looked to be vigourous healthy plants other than the fact they had the runners that made them appear to be a pole bean. I definitely had them planted too close and I have made some changes in the spacing on my current roma II beans. I still plan to harvest the roma II beans before seasons end and am looking forward to it. The foliage problem that was pictured was a different variety, not the roma II.

Duane

Last edited by duajones; May 8, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
...it looks to me you've got them planted to close. You need at least 2 feet between double rows and one foot between plants.
This must be unique to the Romas.

I plant my Dragon Tongue beans 8 inches center to center in staggered rows and in my second year seem to be getting nice results.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007   #20
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I finally have harvested beans this season, contender variety, pulled enough the last two days for a single serving. Tossed in olive oil, baked at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes, salt and pepper. Very tasty
Old May 20, 2007   #21
duajones
Tomatovillian™

pulling beans everyday from contender and pulled first ones from tender pod yesterday. Roma IIs arent far behind. I am really enjoying fresh green beans!
Old May 20, 2007   #22
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget, tell us how the flavor of each is/was.
Old May 23, 2007   #23
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My brother and I compared contender and tenderpod side by side last night and our thoughts were that the tenderpod was closer in bean taste to what we are used to but the contender was very good as well. Cant say that I have a favorite between the two. Roma II is close to flowering and yes it has runners even though it was from a different seed source
Old June 2, 2007   #24
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I was wrong, didn't remember right about my [bush] Roma IIs having runners. :-) But, damit, I don't remember them having runners. LOL. Must be getting older than I feel, oh well.
Old June 15, 2007   #25
duajones
Tomatovillian™

At this point I would give the edge to the roma II's taste wise, but they are fairly equal so far in production. Roma II then Tendercrop followed by Contender as far as taste goes. Did I mention I have beans coming out of my ears?
Old August 4, 2007   #26
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I was right, these Roma IIs don't have runners. :-) They may look like they do early on, but it's just part of the plant.

Click for Larger Size
Old August 5, 2007   #27
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Mine werent pole beans as they looked to be, but definitely looked that way at one point. Several plantings, not just one. I have to chalk it up to lack of experience with beans as the last batch looked to be just like the ones before, but ended up being a fine bush bean. Newbie mistake on my part and I aplogize for my misconception. Roma II is a fine bean
Old August 6, 2007   #28
Earl
Tomatovillian™

No need to apologize, my misconceptions are legendary. :-)