Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2018   #16
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Vladimir,

Both of my father's parents immigrated over a 100 years ago from Terna, Czechoslovakia which I believe is part of Slovakia now. Visiting my grandmother when she was alive, I don't seem to recall her growing or even using tomatoes in any of her cooking or my parents as I was growing up. And it wasn't until I got married to an Italian, that I started to have much use for tomatoes. In what ways are tomatoes used in your country, other than eaten whole or used in soups?
Slovakia is a historical territory, which until 1918 was part of Hungary (within Austria-Hungary), then part of Czechoslovakia. Today it is a separate state Slovak Republic. Terňa Village can be found on Googlemaps. It is in the east of Slovakia, today it has about 1200 inhabitants. At the beginning of the 20th century, it was a poor region (like the northern mountainous part of Slovakia), where it was hard to live, and so many people moved to America. That's why there are more Slovaks than Czechs in the US.
I also do not remember tomatoes used much in the kitchen. Perhaps only tomato soup and tomato sauce with boiled beef or peppers stuffed with minced meat. Italian cuisine is also boiled today - mainly by young families.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #17
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
My grandmother came from the Austro-Hungarian empire, from the area that became Czechoslovakia, "near Vienna." These days, I get asked if I'm Czech or Slovak. On the map, Vienna is at the border between the Czech republic and Slovakia, no help there. Her last name was Murovich, so does anyone know whether that is Czech or Slovak?

Nan
(sorry I'm getting off topic)
Hi Nan,
I was looking for the name of Murovich (Murovič) in the Czech names register and I did not find anyone with that name. Maybe in Slovakia. This name is quite common in Slovenia (also part of Austria-Hungary), but it is a little further away from Vienna. As for the Slovak tomato varieties, I will certainly mention here, but at the moment I do not have time to find them all.
Vladimír
Old May 10, 2018   #18
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

Thanks for all the info. I was 8 years old when the split happened and while I can't speak for other Slovaks, the people around me certainly weren't part of the group who wanted the country to separate. Looking at some online articles now, it seems like the majority of people in both states were against the dissolution of the country. I know Wikipedia is not a great source but other articles I can find seem to support that info..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissol...lovakia#Legacy

Either way, personally for me it was heartbreaking specifically because I knew our hockey and soccer teams wouldn't be as good individually, but I guess I've had 2 instead of 1 team to cheer for since then.

Getting back to Tomatoes, yes when you do get a chance I'd love to find out about some Slovak varieties. I have looked at some Slovak seed sellers online but they seem to be selling the popular world-wide heirlooms and I haven't been able to find one with a Slovakian history. Thanks so much for your responses!
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

By the way, the majority (76%) of Soviet people also voted to save Soviet Union on the State Referendum on March 17, 1991. But our huge great country had to be divided in so many pieces in December of 1991...
All we've got from old times are great tomato varieties from USSR...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #20
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Hi Nan,
I was looking for the name of Murovich (Murovič) in the Czech names register and I did not find anyone with that name. Maybe in Slovakia. This name is quite common in Slovenia (also part of Austria-Hungary), but it is a little further away from Vienna...
Vladimír
Thanks for looking into that, Vladimir. Maybe it is Slovak, then.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #21
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Slovakia is a historical territory, which until 1918 was part of Hungary (within Austria-Hungary), then part of Czechoslovakia. Today it is a separate state Slovak Republic. Terňa Village can be found on Googlemaps. It is in the east of Slovakia, today it has about 1200 inhabitants. At the beginning of the 20th century, it was a poor region (like the northern mountainous part of Slovakia), where it was hard to live, and so many people moved to America. That's why there are more Slovaks than Czechs in the US.
I also do not remember tomatoes used much in the kitchen. Perhaps only tomato soup and tomato sauce with boiled beef or peppers stuffed with minced meat. Italian cuisine is also boiled today - mainly by young families.
Vladimír
Vladimir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some information about Slovakia. I will look forward to when you can list some varieties typically grown in Slovakia.

George
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #22
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My grandmother came from the Austro-Hungarian empire, from the area that became Czechoslovakia, "near Vienna." These days, I get asked if I'm Czech or Slovak. On the map, Vienna is at the border between the Czech republic and Slovakia, no help there. Her last name was Murovich, so does anyone know whether that is Czech or Slovak?

Nan
(sorry I'm getting off topic)

Slovenian or Serbian. "h" at end of name was probably added when family member came to USA.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #23
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! That's good to know. It wouldn't surprise me if the name changed spelling at Ellis Island.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #24
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

-ch in English corresponds (sounds) to -č in Czech or other Slavic languages. That's why the name in English.
Vladimír
Old May 12, 2018   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyT View Post
Vladimir,

Thanks for all the info. I was 8 years old when the split happened and while I can't speak for other Slovaks, the people around me certainly weren't part of the group who wanted the country to separate. Looking at some online articles now, it seems like the majority of people in both states were against the dissolution of the country. I know Wikipedia is not a great source but other articles I can find seem to support that info..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissol...lovakia#Legacy

Either way, personally for me it was heartbreaking specifically because I knew our hockey and soccer teams wouldn't be as good individually, but I guess I've had 2 instead of 1 team to cheer for since then.

Getting back to Tomatoes, yes when you do get a chance I'd love to find out about some Slovak varieties. I have looked at some Slovak seed sellers online but they seem to be selling the popular world-wide heirlooms and I haven't been able to find one with a Slovakian history. Thanks so much for your responses!
Micky T,
you are right, this is the forum about tomatoes and the division of Czechoslovakia was made on the basis of the elections to the legislative assemblies 2002. when more than ninety percent of the inhabitants of Slovakia expressed their Slovakia will be an independent state. Today it's different. Yes, it is a politician and it does not belong here. Sorry.
Vladimír
Old December 5, 2019   #26
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Nan,
I was looking for the name of Murovich (Murovič) in the Czech names register and I did not find anyone with that name. Maybe in Slovakia. This name is quite common in Slovenia (also part of Austria-Hungary), but it is a little further away from Vienna. As for the Slovak tomato varieties, I will certainly mention here, but at the moment I do not have time to find them all.
Vladimír
MrBig46,

Did you ever come up with a list of Slovak OP tomatoes?

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019   #27
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No, I've never had Slovak tomatoes, just Spanish & Romanian, which I specified are only rare here in the US. (They were all OP).

Nan

If you need more info about Romanian heirlooms you may visit
http://www.rosiidingradina.ro/romanesti

You may start a specific thread, if you think people is interested in
I will be happy to help with all I know about and I can do
Old December 6, 2019   #28
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

2019 I had a few Romanian kinds in cultivation.....I did like them.
2020 5 to 10 will follow...

look:

asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2019   #29
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
MrBig46,

Did you ever come up with a list of Slovak OP tomatoes?
Czechoslovakia was divided into the Czech Republic and Slovakia on 1.1.2003. Until then, all the tomatoes cultivated in this region known as the Czechoslovak Republic. From that year, tomato breeding continued in each country separately. The time is different nowadays and companies breeding tomatoes are more focused on hybrids.
So the result is that during the thirty years only three OP varieties have been bred in Slovakia, all of which are determinative. They are:
Tomanova
Very early variety, intended for direct consumption. The fruit is medium-sized, flat-spherical to round with weak ribbing at the stem with a predominant number of chambers 3-4.
Bovita
Early variety, suitable for industrial processing and direct consumption. The fruit is of medium size rectangular shape with very weak ribbing at the stem, without a green ring. The health is good.
Danuša
Early shrub variety suitable for industrial processing and direct consumption. The fetus is medium sized with weak ribbing at the stem, predominantly bicameral. The health is good.
If there was an interest I can get the seeds and send them
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rajciak-krickovy-tomanova-05g-zelseed.jpg (14.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Bovita.jpg (17.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Danuša.jpg (91.4 KB, 36 views)
Old December 8, 2019   #30
imp
Tomatovillian™

Enjoyed the thread so far and learned quite a bit too I usually have good results with many of the Russian and what would have been considered the eastern European varieties tomatoes here in Texas. They seem to deal well with the heat.