Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2016   #31
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha, your opinion matters a lot to me! That price is pretty good but I only grow 1 plant a year so that would take a while to go through .

Have you tried to find a cherry better than Sungold before?

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #32
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I got tired of Sungold in recent years even though it is good; for the past 2 years I have grown Blush as a sort of replacement even though perhaps it is not technically cherry-shaped. Everyone around me who has tasted it loves it.
Maybe I will grow SG next year but it just produces so many cherries that one plant is way more than enough for us.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #33
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Are you certain it's OP?
Nothing is certain but death and taxes.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #34
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Marsha and I are going to make the best cherry going. Give us time and good KARMA.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #35
MissS
Tomatovillian™

SunGold is offered in the MMMM that Tormato put on every year. It's any easy way to get a hold of a few seeds for those looking for it, all that you have to do is participate in the swap and request a few seeds.

KARMA.............Sigh
Old April 23, 2016   #36
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info MissS! I'm planning on participating in it next year, I was too late this year.

I didn't know Sungold was offered there. Reading the responses here shows me how popular Sungold is and I thought that there would be more people that have replaced it but I guess it really is that good.

I'll probably just keep buying my 1 plant at the nursery each year!

@Karen, I'm another PNW'er that's excited about your new varieties, and can't wait to try them!

Al
Old April 23, 2016   #37
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I caved in to all the hype and asked for a few Sungold seeds through the MMMM this year. I haven't grown a single hybrid since my first venture into growing tomatoes about five years ago.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #38
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I caved in to all the hype and asked for a few Sungold seeds through the MMMM this year. I haven't grown a single hybrid since my first venture into growing tomatoes about five years ago.
Well......... Your in for a treat!
Old April 23, 2016   #39
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown Big Beef F1 before so I'm not locked into growing it but I am Sungold F1. I might have to try Big Beef F1 next season as well.

I don't know how or why I quickly adopted a anti-hybrid attitude, my first tomatoes were burpee Steak Sandwich F1 before finding T-ville!

Al
Old April 23, 2016   #40
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I think that simplistically, opponents of GMOs, Big Ag et al. often feel the need to divide the world into "good things" and "bad things" and hybrids (since many are used in Big Ag, and created by Big Seed) have been deemed "bad".

It is not hard to find people 100% against hybrids, that are only too willing to proclaim that for any hybrid there is a similar (if not better) OP variety. Sometimes this is true. Some times it is fiction. And, of course, not all hybrids are created by Big Seed or for Big Ag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
I haven't grown Big Beef F1 before so I'm not locked into growing it but I am Sungold F1. I might have to try Big Beef F1 next season as well.

I don't know how or why I quickly adopted a anti-hybrid attitude, my first tomatoes were burpee Steak Sandwich F1 before finding T-ville!

Al
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #41
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The idea that one "must" be able to dehybridize SunGold, and select an equivalent line has led to lots and lots of mediocre tomatoes being grown.

Sometimes hybrids are delicately balanced, and the parents synergistic. And SunGold is a pretty good example of that.

What if everyone trying to dehybridize and re-select SunGold had been working on developing unique varieties?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #42
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm not anti-hybrid, I just don't like being "dependent" on a variety for which seeds must be purchased. I've had too many much-loved products discontinued by manufacturers over the span of my lifetime.

I guess I'm afraid I'll fall in love with some hybrid variety and then the seeds will be discontinued and I will spend the rest of my growing years obsessively searching for something comparable. I'm like that.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #43
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I'm not anti-hybrid, I just don't like being "dependent" on a variety for which seeds must be purchased. I've had too many much-loved products discontinued by manufacturers over the span of my lifetime.

I guess I'm afraid I'll fall in love with some hybrid variety and then the seeds will be discontinued and I will spend the rest of my growing years obsessively searching for something comparable. I'm like that.
I can almost guarantee Sun Gold F1 will never be discontinued. The company that produces it may go out of business which is unlikely but possible as in any business. But Sun Gold F1 is to amazing for them to stop producing it.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #44

Default Try Orange Paruche

Hi,

I also grow Sungold every year and love it. I didn't think I could love a tomato more than Sungold. A few years back I was at a tomato tasting and tried Orange Paruche. Everyone went nuts. It looks just like a Sungold and the flavor is similar but it has an extra something that truly makes it taste even better. This year I didn't plant any Sungold which I never thought I would do and instead planted 4 Orange Paruche. It is a winner for sure.

Happy Gardening!

Old April 23, 2016   #45
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I think that simplistically, opponents of GMOs, Big Ag et al. often feel the need to divide the world into "good things" and "bad things" and hybrids (since many are used in Big Ag, and created by Big Seed) have been deemed "bad".

It is not hard to find people 100% against hybrids, that are only too willing to proclaim that for any hybrid there is a similar (if not better) OP variety. Sometimes this is true. Some times it is fiction. And, of course, not all hybrids are created by Big Seed or for Big Ag.
Thanks Fred - it is good when someone with your cred stands up and provides a reasoned opinion like this.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote