Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2016   #16
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have one seed of Ambrosia Gold that germinated, I will be growing it side by side with Sun Gold Hyb to compare the flavor. I can't imagine anything replacing Sun Gold, the flavor to me is just too unique. It's not the sweetness that gets me, since I'm not a fan of simply sweet tomatoes, but the extra burst of acid fruitiness that I can't find anywhere else. A packet can last me from 3-5 years, so I don't mind buying it as needed.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #17
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I think its impossible to drop SunGold F1 from the list but i have a few i am growing this year for comparison. I have big hopes for Esterina F1, Toronjina F1, and Orange Pauruche F1. So far Esterina F1 is blowing away the competition as far as being early goes. I have one that may be ripe when i get home tonight and Sun Gold F1 has not even shown signs of blushing. All of these varieties were started, potted up, and transplanted into my garden at the same time. Now if the flavor comes anywhere near SunGold F1 i will be happier than can be but deep down inside i doubt it.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #18
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

If you don't use Sungold or Sun Sugar, I recommend ...

Gold Nugget.
Old April 20, 2016   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have two plants growing that I got from the MMMM called, WOW. It's supposed to taste as good as Sungold and is an OP. I also have Ambrosia gold and Sungold F1, and F3 growing. We'll see when they are all producing.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ambrosia (any color) is a good replacement for SunGold. Golden Nugget, lovely color, but not necessary as tasty as SG...
If you simply are looking for yellow/orange cherry varieties, there are plenty to choose from... GoldKrone is delicious (at least is was for me), so is Ildi (but very different from SunGold..)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #21
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have two plants growing that I got from the MMMM called, WOW. It's supposed to taste as good as Sungold and is an OP. I also have Ambrosia gold and Sungold F1, and F3 growing. We'll see when they are all producing.
Let me know how WOW cherry does for you. If it does well I may have to plant it for a fall crop.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I sure hope they do well. They're the tallest 2 tomato plants in our main garden. One is just starting to set tomatoes.
Old April 20, 2016   #23
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Al...there are many loyal followers of Sungold...and it is good for sure. I was always bugged by how easily it cracks. My favorite cherry is Black Cherry. It is a good producer, looks cool, and tastes really good. It does not crack badly. There are several really good cherries...and they are prolific.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #24
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ed, I'm happy with Black Cherry and this year I'm growing 2 cherries (Zachery and Black Hole Sun) that are similar to Black Cherry but I was hoping for a somewhat similar replacement to Sungold that is OP. Ambrosia Gold seems to fit the mold as something that OP and sweet like Sungold. I was curious what others may have already found or like better than Sungold even though taste is different for everyone. Cracking is another issue but doesn't have to be the deal breaker if I got all the other attributes.

Earliness (a lot of cherries are early but yet still a factor)
Taste - Sweet and similar to Sungold
Produces well
Op

I had completely forgotten about Gold Nugget and have never tried it before, it sounds like it may not always be consistently sweet like Sungold though.

Thanks for the replies so far, I love having discussions like this where people share their experiences even if they differ from others' experiences...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #25
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I have tried a dozen or so options to replace Sungold. The closest I have come is Snow White Cherry. For me it is ridiculously delicious, and my family prefers them to sungold. Very sweet and fruity - but I know sometimes these things change in local conditions. I have tried Ambrosia gold, but it produced gross tasting cherries we mostly spit. I think a few years back the line wasn't exactly stable, or I received seed that had crossed.

I am growing Sunsugar and Snow White this year, and I probably will continue with Sungold or Sunsugar for a while. The seeds are expensive, but I love the colour, production and disease resistance they have. This year I am trying out carbon copy, and some of the bumblebees and tigers I haven't tried before to find the best cherries for my garden!
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #26
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

DANG, I purposedly decided to give the sungold search a break this year and now this thread has me itching to try WOW or Snow White Cherry!
Old April 21, 2016   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm hoping WOW tastes better than Sungold. I guess I ate too many Sungold last year?

"If they grow and produce, I will save hundreds of seeds"...sounds like something out of Field of Dreams
Old April 21, 2016   #28
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
...The seeds are expensive, but I love the colour, production and disease resistance they have.
Tatiana sells 20 * Sun Gold F1 or 20 * Sun Sugar F1 seeds for $2.50 CDN.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #29
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That is a good price RJGlew!

LindyAdele Love your avatar picture!

Sorry Luigiwu! I've been called an enabler by some, but then again that's what Tomatoville is for ...

I've not been growing tomatoes too long yet and there are so many I have yet to try but for cherries there are even more to try! Sungold and Cherokee Purple were 2 of the first tomatoes I grew so I guess I'm looking for a change but Sungold's so good that it's hard to replace it.

Maybe I'll try Snow White or even Isis Candy next season.

Johnny Seeds has 40 for 3.95 american which isnt a bad price either. Rareseeds has 25 seeds for 2.50 american but you never know what seed your getting with them!

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; April 21, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Having grown both SunGold, and Isis Candy, I'll take the SunGolds every time. It still is the absolute must grow for me every year. TGSupply has what they say is 30 seeds of SunGold, ends up being about 50. $3.65 http://www.tomatogrowers.com/SUN-GOL...ductinfo/6313/
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote