Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 6, 2015   #46
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
Red Ox is a determinate type opposite of a lateral branching type, it is compact. I planted 2 pieces and see the potatoes close to the base of the plant, no stolons, no secondary emerging shoots, no tiny potatoes forming (similar growing habit as Yukon gold)
Hi,

I am just about the start my potatoe towers. Which potatoe do you reccomend for me to have for the best lateral growth?

Thank you in advance.

Serdar
oynamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #47
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

What varieties do you currently grow?

In my experience, you are better off with long season potatoes that spread widely. As Wmontanez stated, Red Ox is a variety that would not do especially well in a tower.

Or conversely, others have found that some varieties do not mind crowding, and crowding more seed potatoes in the tower increases yield to maximize the area. You would end up with more small tubers rather than fewer large tubers.

Both methods are variety specific.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #48
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanP View Post
What varieties do you currently grow?

In my experience, you are better off with long season potatoes that spread widely. As Wmontanez stated, Red Ox is a variety that would not do especially well in a tower.

Or conversely, others have found that some varieties do not mind crowding, and crowding more seed potatoes in the tower increases yield to maximize the area. You would end up with more small tubers rather than fewer large tubers.

Both methods are variety specific.
Hi Nathan,

This topic saved my life. I was about to put early potatoes in my grow bags now they are going in smaller containers.

I have 30 gallon grow bags waiting for my late season potatoes to arrive.

I was planning to plant the best type potato for the tower set up and wondering if someone would recommend one to me.

Thank You
oynamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2015   #49
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

I can recommend this website for possibly the best information available on the topic.

http://kenoshapotato.com/
Old January 12, 2015   #50
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@oynamak

Yukon Gold, Red Norland and Kennebec don't need tall towers for example...are commercially available and are closer to the base. Correction of Nathan's response RED OX grows close to the base a huge tower is just waste of dirt.

Most blue varieties around tend to grow longer stolons so it may be better to grow in a tower, at least on my experience.

Good luck
Old June 11, 2015   #51
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

Default high setting second year tps-potatoes.

Trying to post from my mobile phone, hope pictures make it through!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1434048540024.jpg (299.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1434048796492.jpg (341.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1434048753731.jpg (347.7 KB, 75 views)
potatowine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #52
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

The plant above started sprouting in dec/jan so I planted it in a small pot. Due to lack of light it grew way too tall so I repotted it in a bigger bucket like a coil, placeing it on the bottom and filling with dirt as I kinda coiled the stem to cover it almost completely. After the repotting it stayed short with the aid of a led-panel and shot up some new growth as well as a potato above ground green as a berry.
If the coiling, variety, stress or a combination caused it to form tubers about 50cm/20" above original ground level I leave open for discussion.
Old June 11, 2015   #53
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

The second picture is a branch close to the surface that got boken off.
Old January 27, 2016   #54
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply to PotatoVine

Hi.
You show the same long stolon secondary branching. That might be ok to grow in a tower. Hope you keep trying to grow amazing tasting potatoes.
Old October 10, 2017   #55
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Here is photo from a potato dug this year. This displays the long stolon trait with tuber setting off stolons instead of, and in addition to, directly under the center of the plant. See the link below for a discussion on the Cultivariable Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1555...8641225402042/

Last edited by NathanP; October 10, 2017 at 09:37 PM.