Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 18, 2017   #16
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I was just posting my results with this company. This pack had a sticker over their original pack. These seeds were from 2016 and then had a germination rate of 83%. I know that many of you have had great experiences with this company. If you would like the not so rare Rosa Bianca seeds with a germination rate of 69%, by all means Buy them Here!
Old November 18, 2017   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Considering the extra charges but 18 more seeds it is more or less about the same.
My mind isn't into any kind of math right now at all.
But we are talking about the price of a frigging candy bar these days.

I've had my two cups of coffee and can fully operate a calculator at the moment ;-)

I think the other way around -- less money for more seeds from Fedco. And with a 69% germination, 33 of the 48 seeds should germinate. I know we're only talking about $1.45 savings if buying from Fedco, but if you're ordering a lot of varieties, the savings should more than cover the higher charge for shipping.

Orders over $30 are free. I guess that's another reason local farmers seem to favor Fedco.

My only gripe with them is that they always shut down ordering right at the time when I want to do my ordering (now). I prefer to go into "catalog season" when everyone else is shopping, knowing I already have what I want. That's why I haven't bought anything from them recently.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

I've not been impressed with Fedco myself, and especially the s/h charges. Several other seed companies are more reasonable for that charge. So, I just pass them by and order from other companies that I have found to be reliable for my own use.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017   #19
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I order on occasion from Fedco. I like the prices and they seem to carry quite a few varieties. No shipping charge, but there is a handling charge of $5.00 on orders less than $30.00.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017   #20
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

I love Fedco.

If it were not for Fedco, then I would not have had a garden all these years. They (besides some mom & pop places that have popped up in the last 10 years) are the only ones that I can afford.

I am not rich and am unable to buy seeds every year. I aim for every other year but it ends up being every 5 years. There is always an emergency that eats up my seed money. I need those bigger packets of seeds for less money.

I have been thrilled with the germination rates from Fedco...even my 10 and 15 yr old seeds surprise me.

Whenever their seeds get old they offer them at a discount.

There is no way I could ever buy $200 worth of anything from Johnnies.

Fedco's catalog, with all its puffed up descriptions makes for great reading while snowed in and sitting by a fire. I just wish it was not so politically slanted.

There are many seed/plant orders/dreams that get killed by shipping charges. There are many seed companies that I would love to order from but can't.

With Fedco, the dream of a bigger better garden never dies.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017   #21
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I order on occasion from Fedco. I like the prices and they seem to carry quite a few varieties. No shipping charge, but there is a handling charge of $5.00 on orders less than $30.00.
Another thing I have noticed over the last couple of years is there delivery is much faster. They get it to you quick and for that I am thankful.
Old November 19, 2017   #22
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I like Johnny's. I mean it sucks to order 200$ at once but their quality and customer service are the level needed for someone trying to make a living from selling produce. Another fav is http://toddsseeds.com/ for buying bulk seeds for cheap. So far my germination from their seeds ha been great.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I like Johnny's, too. My only problem as a market grower is that we all get that same catalog. If you do find a product that is a big hit with customers, the next year the other vendors will have ordered it, too.

My grandparents did a lot of business with Stokes and Harris over the years. I have had good fortune with flower seeds from Harris. Grandma says that Harris is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Morgan County Seed has a limited selection, and shipping gets slow in the spring when they are busy, but I have never seen anyone beat their prices. They are in rural Missouri and have a lot of Amish and Mennonite customers. They have a no-nonsense, 'tell it like it is' business approach. The catalog says you can buy things three ways in this world - good, fast, and cheap. But you can only get two out of the three at one time. They choose to not be fast and bluntly tell people to take their business elsewhere if they don't like that. In our modern age of slick glossy marketing, I appreciate their honesty.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #24
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I always order my basics from Fedco. I like the prices, the quantity of seeds, and the catalogue descriptions. I appreciate their environmental stance. But I also order from a bunch of other companies, as I am always on the lookout for that something different to offer at my farmers market booth that might spark an interesting conversation. But Fedco is my first choice for the staples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2017   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
I love Fedco.

If it were not for Fedco, then I would not have had a garden all these years. They (besides some mom & pop places that have popped up in the last 10 years) are the only ones that I can afford.

I am not rich and am unable to buy seeds every year. I aim for every other year but it ends up being every 5 years. There is always an emergency that eats up my seed money. I need those bigger packets of seeds for less money.

I have been thrilled with the germination rates from Fedco...even my 10 and 15 yr old seeds surprise me.

Whenever their seeds get old they offer them at a discount.

There is no way I could ever buy $200 worth of anything from Johnnies.

Fedco's catalog, with all its puffed up descriptions makes for great reading while snowed in and sitting by a fire. I just wish it was not so politically slanted.

There are many seed/plant orders/dreams that get killed by shipping charges. There are many seed companies that I would love to order from but can't.

With Fedco, the dream of a bigger better garden never dies.
Best post ever.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #26
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
I love Fedco.

Exactly! I am a single parent. I have a child that I am trying to put through college. I had a deadbeat for a husband that died owing me over $160,000 in child support. I scrimp every which way and I don't like to waste my money on seeds with poor germination rates. Thank goodness gardeners are generous people or I would have never been able to start my own gardens. That is why I try to pass it forward every chance that I get.
Old November 19, 2017   #27
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Nattybo check out Todds seeds linked above. You can buy seeds by the pound for cheap. Selection is limited, but if you keep those seeds in the freezer they will keep for a loooooong time.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #28
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I like to support Remy's Sample Seed Shop. Her prices are reasonable and so is the shipping.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #29
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I buy a few seeds at Home Depot on occasion. The selection is somewhat limited but the prices on Burpees Seeds for example are much less than online. At least that is my experience. In the Spring I bought a few packets of seeds at my nearby Dollar Tree and they were super cheap. If I remember right 3 packs for a dollar.
Oh and to Worth. I like you short post above. There is a man with a heart in Bastrop, Tx.

Last edited by Zone9b; November 19, 2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old November 24, 2017   #30
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I have bought quite a few seeds from both Johnnys and Fedco...others too.
But what I have noticed about Johnnys is that they spend quite a lot of time and effort into selecting and developing varieties that do well for them. This sounds good on paper, but I have found that their seeds don't do well in my climate and soil. I think it is because they have worked too hard to maximize color, uniformity and visual appeal.
In contrast, Fedco seems more no nonsense and their seeds work better in my rough and tumble garden environment.
Just my opinion of course.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote