Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2013   #1
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default Temperatures that interfere with pollination

I am being questioned on my FB page about the veracity of tomato pollen becoming sterile at high temps. Also, the question of blossom drop with high night temps has come up. I know I have this ingrained in my mind but cannot find a source to back me up. I do not find it in my ultimate authority, Carolyn's book. So, do I remember correctly? Pollen becomes sterile above around 95? How do high night temps interfere with pollination? 75 degrees or so? Is it dependent on how many days the heat occurs?
Old June 28, 2013   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few references. Ami

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/5/631.long

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/vege016/vege016.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1195
Old June 28, 2013   #3
coronabarb

Thank you Ami. Will check those out~
Old June 28, 2013   #4
coronabarb

These are excellent! Thanks again! :-D
Old June 28, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Anyone who has grown tomatoes in the South knows that the high temps and also the high humidity take a real toll on fruit set. Increasing the amount of water available to the plants and giving them a little boost of a liquid or soluble fertilizer will help in getting some fruit set on many varieties. Some of the hearts,black tomatoes and smaller fruited varieties have the ability to set fruit in higher temps better than most of the pinks and reds especially the large pink beefsteaks. There seem to be exceptions in all of these and I keep trying a few different varieties each year to find more varieties that can produce in the heat. A sure fire way to not have fruit set in the heat is to let the soil dry out too much on any variety.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Not quite a reference, but...

at this temp my tomatoes could use some solace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwE5gfZlMZY

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bill,I'm glad you spoke to the humidity issue since it's very important in addition to temps.

When there's prolonged (don't ask me how long) high humidity the pollen clumps and is much less effective,

Add to that high heat,which denatures the pollen and you've got a double whammy to deal with.

Many years ago Linda Sapp of TGS put me in contact with a hybridizer from Petoseed who was working in FL on the pollen clumping problem but I have yet to see anything more about that in terms of specific varieties

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2013   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Bill,I'm glad you spoke to the humidity issue since it's very important in addition to temps.

When there's prolonged (don't ask me how long) high humidity the pollen clumps and is much less effective,

Add to that high heat,which denatures the pollen and you've got a double whammy to deal with.

Many years ago Linda Sapp of TGS put me in contact with a hybridizer from Petoseed who was working in FL on the pollen clumping problem but I have yet to see anything more about that in terms of specific varieties

Carolyn
Carolyn, glad to see you back posting. I hope you are feeling much better.

I'm still getting some decent fruit set on some varieties despite near 100% humidity and temps in the 90s; but it has sure slowed down on most varieties and stopped on some. We have been getting one or more thunderstorms every day lately and that gives a little temporary cool down for an hour or so sometimes; but I don't think it has been below the mid 70s even at night for a while now.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #9
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

I'm guessing someone has worked it out to some degree. I read that the majority of tomatoes grown in the US are produced in either California or Florida. For california I bet thats mostly grown in the central valley, have certainly passed truck after truck loaded down with roma type tomatoes (I'm guessing for paste) in the past driving thru there. I think the temp today in Sacramento is north of 100 and probably closer to 110 this weekend. I've also talked with a local farm advisor and they grow tomatoes in the Coachella valley in southern California, could be thats a winter crop but I think the forecast this weekend for the coachella valley is something in the order of 122.

So there must be incentive to grow varieties that set in heat, I know these are more likely the "Valley girl" type determinate that we're unlikely to grow in a home garden but interesting nonetheless.

A hot weekend ahead, forecast for high 120's in Death valley California, I wonder if the world record heat of 134 is in sight.

Last edited by DavidP; June 28, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #10
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I am just south of you David, pretty bad week-end that's for sure. Wonderground has me at 110 Sat and Sunday, about 5 degrees higher than everyone else........hope they are WRONG!

My at risk growing area is full southern exposure, Earthboxes on gravel Poor Babies. They are absolutely loaded with large fruit but not at breaker yet. I have been out there misting with the hose and plan to keep at it all weekend long.

Stay cool Barb and all the other SoCal inland and desert folks.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #11
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

We don't have the humidity (usually). Today got up to 103 with hotter temps in the forecast for Monday/Tuesday. Some plants seem to be setting fruit, but most seem to have stopped doing anything. I like the suggestion of giving them some liquid fertilizer in the afternoon. A little snack.

This evening we got some severe thunderstorms through around 6:00 p.m. It cooled down 22 degrees in about 20 minutes! Two friends that live about 5 miles away from here got 1" hail and winds around 60 MPH. Their gardens were destroyed. I feel so lucky, we just got rain. There was some blossom drop and shredded leaves, but it's not too bad.

Some of my babies haven't been in the ground all that long and they were really suffering in the heat, so this is the solution I threw together today... my Garden Quilt (like Remay) that I use to keep them warm in cold weather. It was too hot this morning to do a pretty job, but I think it it really helped. I ran outside when the storm started and took it all down. I was afraid of high winds! I plan to do something like this each of the coming days, but I'll also get up earlier and try to do a better job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heatwave.jpg (227.4 KB, 41 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

LOL! Yes, how would we make do without those old wooden clothes pins. I have old sheets in smaller sections that I clip around the cages.
Old June 29, 2013   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Barb there are no set temps for blossom drop.
As anything else it depends on the variety.

Smaller fruited at my place will set at way over 95 degrees.

Some large fruited play out in the mid 80 degree temps.
I have pretty much gone to planting early determinate tomatoes.

It is a total waste of time to plant anything else.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #14
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I am trying out determinates this year too. Not only is it too hot here but I am getting too old to deal with those mammoth vines! A tomato called Hanky Red and also Mozart are both absolutely loaded with good size fruit right now. More set than I have ever seen on non cherries.
Old June 29, 2013   #15
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

This past Thursday it was 107 degrees here in Albuquerque, and I had 180 plants I was worried about, so I took my swimming pool cover to set up a shade for them. I almost got heat stroke setting it up but I think the temperature was at least 10 degrees cooler under the shade than outside it.

That night the wind blew about 40 mph and destroyed my shade. Fortunately the temp hasn't gone that high again yet.

I'm starting to get some fruit setting on later varieties like Ananas Noir and Virigina Sweets that makes me hopeful for other even later varieties.

Charley in Albuquerque
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote