Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 19, 2016   #1
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone Love Olive Oil?

I thought yall might like to see how I made olive oil for the first time. I did not use a store bought press but rather my own poor man press. It worked really well and was super easy. Here in Southern California olive trees are like citrus and avocado trees.....they are on every corner. I found a couple dozen trees in a Parkway where no one lives....virtually no man's land. I picked these trees since I did not have to ask permission before harvesting the olives. Now I do not know how to tell the different varieties of olives apart but these particular olives were leaching oil hanging on the tree. The trees were loaded so harvesting get was a breeze. We filled a 5 gallon bucket in around 2 hours. Below are pics and descriptions.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote