Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 18, 2013   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default The Zucchini Won't Die!

I just picked two more this week, and will probably get at least two or three more before I pull the plants. Every other year, the plants are usually dead and long gone by early September if squash vine borers don't get them first. Even my winter squash has been flowering and setting new baby squash this month. The only thing i did differently this year was to hit them with a couple of applications of Take Down Spray when I first saw signs of SVB's after digging a couple of worms out of the stems. We're having an unusually warm fall, which is probably helping. Good thing we're not sick of them yet!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting, as I'm experiencing the same thing this year! I attributed it to changing from Raven F1 to Noche F1. The base of both plants look gnawed and ugly but they keep on giving and I've even got 8 in the fridge because we haven't been able to keep up with the pace! I didn't spray at all and only squished squash bugs that showed themselves. Temps are predicted to dip into the mid to low 30's next Thurs-Sun., so that may be the end if they continue to hang on until then. This is highly unusual for zucchini in my experience in spite of the fact that I always plant both in mid-May and again in early July in an attempt to extend the season. Butternuts always seem to continue to flower and set with renewed vigor here after they look pretty awful in late August. Now if only cucumbers would behave this way!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Must be weather related if this is also a rarity for you. I also put out a couple of plants in May, and then more in July after the garlic harvest. One of my two May plants is still going! The two I have this year are Striato d'Italia and San Pasquale. The San Pasquale was supposed to be a heavy blossom producer, but I really didn't see much of a difference between the two in that respect, but the Striato produced better squash--not as dry, tender skin, and less seedy.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #4
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I'm experiencing the same thing. I attribute it to the unusually warm nights and the lack of a killing frost. I've had three light frosts...almost non-existent. The tomatoes and squash don't want to stop. It's kind of hard for me to know when to pull a plant when it just keeps on giving me fruit.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
I'm experiencing the same thing. I attribute it to the unusually warm nights and the lack of a killing frost. I've had three light frosts...almost non-existent. The tomatoes and squash don't want to stop. It's kind of hard for me to know when to pull a plant when it just keeps on giving me fruit.
You're probably right about the nights and the amazing warm stretch we had there in Sept. probably didn't hurt. The few tomato plants that I allowed to grow without topping or removing blossoms are doing the same thing and I realize that I topped and removed blossoms way too soon this year on the others. In another few days those plants won't even have any greenies left!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote