Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 9, 2016   #61
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
You should try my sink bug killer mix. I have had no problem with them now for two years even though they showed up early this year I wiped them out. Permethrin is the only poison I use on them and it is quite mild but the combination of 2 TBS of Dawn and 2/3 cup of food grade DE makes the mix long lasting which is the only way to get rid of them without resorting to strong poisons. I am even adding my copper fungicide to the mix in order to kill to birds with one stone and it seems to be working just as well as when applied alone. I only had to spray for stink bugs and leaf footed bugs twice way back in the early summer but the mix is the most effective thing I have found to fight back spider mites so I have used it three times for them. I haven't seen a stink bug in months and I'm not afraid to eat my tomatoes because of the mild toxicity of the spray.

Bill
I think I may give it a try. I know as soon as the fall crop gets big enough the stink bugs will be all over the place.

For the Permethrin, is there a name brand to buy and how much. Also I bought a bottle of copper spray last year. It been kept under kitchen cupboard with other chems. Will it still be good to use and how much of it.

My sprayer is tiny. Just a 1 liter, but works good for me. I do have a bunch of one gallon milk jugs that I can use to mix formulas in and then pour into sprayer.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #62
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I think I may give it a try. I know as soon as the fall crop gets big enough the stink bugs will be all over the place.

For the Permethrin, is there a name brand to buy and how much. Also I bought a bottle of copper spray last year. It been kept under kitchen cupboard with other chems. Will it still be good to use and how much of it.

My sprayer is tiny. Just a 1 liter, but works good for me. I do have a bunch of one gallon milk jugs that I can use to mix formulas in and then pour into sprayer.
I don't have a name brand but buy mine at a store that deals with livestock and farming. I don't fool with the stuff they sell in the big box stores cause you are just paying for water mostly. I get one that is from 10% pure to higher and use it according to the directions but will up the dose the first time I spray for stinkbugs. I just started adding the copper to my mix a little over a month ago and have used it twice and it seems to be keeping most diseases in check just as if I was using it alone. The food grade DE is critical for long term killing of insects because Permethrin has a very short life and seems to only be good for killing the bugs you actually spray it on. The heavy dose of Dawn is poisonous to most insects but it is also critical in penetrating the protective webbing that spider mites produce so the poison can get to them. Make sure you mix the food grade DE in some plain water so it is easier to strain. I made the mistake one time of adding the Dawn before mixing it and it was a foamy mess that was too hard to strain. Once the DE is shaken up and suspended in some water then strain it into the sprayer and then add the soap and Permethrin.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #63
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I was just out pruning and clipping some tomato vines to the drop lines and checked them closely for spider mites. I didn't see any obvious evidence of them but since it has rained hard a couple of times this week and washed off most of the DE I will probably spray again as soon as the rain chances drop just to make sure there aren't too many hatching out from eggs. There is still plenty of time for the extreme heat to return and dry weather with it but for now I am enjoying this nice break in the heat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #64
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

Have you tired Jerry Baker's recipe for Spider Mites?
2 gal water
2 tsp ammonia
1 tsp dishwashing liquid

Apply handheld sprayer every 5 day for 3 weeks.
nhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #65
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I was just out pruning and clipping some tomato vines to the drop lines and checked them closely for spider mites. I didn't see any obvious evidence of them but since it has rained hard a couple of times this week and washed off most of the DE I will probably spray again as soon as the rain chances drop just to make sure there aren't too many hatching out from eggs. There is still plenty of time for the extreme heat to return and dry weather with it but for now I am enjoying this nice break in the heat.

Bill
Thank you very much Bill! Next time I in town, I'll stop by BW Capps and have them find me the Permethrin. They have farm stuff.

Suns out so now it getting humid but it sure did feel good with the clouds and a small breeze for most of the morning. Usually by 9 am already it heading for the 90's. Amazing how a 10 degree drop in temps can make a body feel so much better and I'm sure the plants are liking it too.
Old August 9, 2016   #66
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow! I am surprised. You would think it would keep them out. Are they on top of the bags or going inside.

They have finally arrived here in a big way along with even more hornworms. I finally got tired of trying to catch and destroy the bugs and since it end of summer season, and have more than plenty tomatoes and seeds, I pulled or cut back my plants of ones I wanted to keep going. With the cutback the stinkbugs seem to be staying off the plants.

I wonder if it the smell of the tomatoes that attracts them. Of course it doesn't help to have a neighbors garden a few feet away that doesn't scout and just lets bugs and diseases run rampant.
I'm not sure if they're able to bite through the bag and do damage from the outside or not. I did find an adult on the outside of a bag yesterday, but I don't know if it was sucking or resting. Found lots of babies inside the bags and empty egg cases inside the bags (that's where there were holes made in the bags), so the adults must be able to wiggle themselves inside by the stem.

I've also started pulling plants; ones we don't care for, ones that are very diseased, ones that didn't set any more fruits in our hot summer, etc. Wish I were more motivated to spray, but by the time it's late enough for the sun not to be on the plants, I'm showered, fed, and not interested in getting sweaty all over again. The dew we get every morning keeps the plants wet until the sun is on them.

Found 2 hornworms all summer and have seen the hummingbird moths, so I guess the birds are doing a good job with them. Wish somebody would develop a taste for stink bugs.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #67
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

has anyone used one of these AgBio Stink Bug traps: "Dead Inn" (love the name). Gets good reviews, lasts up to 7 weeks. instead of broad insecticide, this seems to be more stink specific.

stinkbugtrap.jpg
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #68
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Me, personally, I would not use those or any traps that have a pheromone in them. Yes, they will catch stink bugs, but the pheromones travel many miles on the wind and will attract stink bugs or any other bug for a trap for miles round. The problem with that is that yes a bunch will make it into the trap, but there are alot that will get sidetracked and find your plants instead and set up house cleaning of your plants and laying their eggs for future generations.
Old August 16, 2016   #69
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

good point, starlight. yes, the trap works with stink bug pheromone and does go great distances. thus, the reasonable assumption they attract stink bugs and probably just capture a % of those.

a "bug pheromone extractor" sounds like an odd job, but big bidness these days.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #70
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Me, personally, I would not use those or any traps that have a pheromone in them. Yes, they will catch stink bugs, but the pheromones travel many miles on the wind and will attract stink bugs or any other bug for a trap for miles round. The problem with that is that yes a bunch will make it into the trap, but there are alot that will get sidetracked and find your plants instead and set up house cleaning of your plants and laying their eggs for future generations.
I agree. Same with any other insects you don't want around. Don't attract them or you will get more than nature sent your way.

I found my very first stink bug yesterday on one of my mater plants. I don't know what variety it is, but that doesn't really matter. Time to bust out some serious treatments now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160830_083848.jpg (217.8 KB, 32 views)
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #71
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Here is one that is 36.8 % permethrin. You have to dilute it down good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048EY6KY...I33X4SMPCFH24V
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote